<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, April 21, 2005

MOCK! YEAH! BIRD! YEAH! 

I had thought about doing a complete, 7-round NFL mock draft this year.

Then I realized something.

I have a life. Well, somewhat. But I digress.

Instead of wasting my time doing a full mock draft, I've done something that would be of more interest to our readers. It's easy to do a "who are the Seahawks going to pick in the 1st round" post and call it a day. Thing is, we don't do things the conventional way here at Sports and Bremertonians. I figured, how about I go ahead and predict the 10 Seahawks selections? I love talking football in April. Don't you?

Who will call Seattle their new NFL home after this weekend?

2005 NFL DRAFT

FIRST ROUND
#23 DE David Pollack, Georgia
---The Seahawks need a pass rush. Badly. So why not get a guy who has played 4 years in the SEC and has proven to be one of the best defensive players in the country? Pollack is a Top 15 pick, but chances are he won't go that high. Too bad. I hope there are a few general managers stupid enough to pass on Pollack. He's the perfect player for a Tim Ruskell organization.

Let's face it, I want David Pollack. I hope he's there at 23. The guy is a winner. He reminds me of Tedy Bruschi, a tough as nails player who just wins. Remember, Bruschi played DE at Arizona before playing LB in the NFL. I'm not saying that Pollack will be moved to LB, but I'd like his chances if he were to be moved there.

You can't have enough guys who have a winning attitude. It's not about the big time superstars. Exhibit A, the back-to-back world champion New England Patriots.

SECOND ROUND
#54 LB Barrett Ruud, Nebraska
---Similar to Pollack, Barrett Ruud spent 4 years in school. Grant Wistrom can trade stories with the linebacker about the good ol' days in Lincoln. Ruud is the best linebacker available at this point of the draft. If the Seahawks can somehow land Ruud at this point of the draft, they should consider themselves lucky.

THIRD ROUND
#85 C Ben Wilkerson, LSU
---Robbie Tobeck isn't going to be around forever. Is this too high for Wilkerson? I don't think so at all. Wilkerson (6'3" 299 lbs) has the potential to become one of the best centers in the NFL. He was on LSU's co-national championship team in 2003.

#98 RB Ciatrick Fason, Florida
---Somehow, someway, Ciatrick Fason is still on the board at #98.

This is possible Shaun Alexander insurance, should #37 be traded before the 2005 season. But make no mistake, Fason isn't a run-of-the-mill back. He rushed for 1,267 yards and scored 10 touchdowns for the Gators in 2004. I'll be shocked if Fason is still available at #98. I'm just betting that there are a few GMs who are asleep at the wheel.

FOURTH ROUND
#121 LB/DE Jeb Huckeba, Arkansas
---Jeb Huckeba played outside linebacker, inside linebacker, and defensive end during his career at Arkansas. He earned All-SEC first-team honors at defensive end in 2004. Huckeba is a player that fits the mold of players that Ruskell is looking for. If anything, there may be a few more folks here in Arkansas who will root for the Seahawks. I'm sure Ken Hamlin can show Mr. Huckeba around Seattle to see the sights and sounds. No word on whether Huckeba would host a rush-hour show on KUBE, however.

#126 OT Calvin Armstrong, Washington State
---A native of Centralia, Wash., Calvin Armstrong was an instrumental part of the Cougars' resurgence in recent years. The Seahawks need a right tackle. At 6'8", 322 lbs, I think Armstrong is just the guy the Seahawks need at that position.

Sidenote about Armstrong: During his junior year of high school, his Centralia Tigers lost to Bremerton in the consolation bracket of the 3A state basketball tournament at the Kingdome. Go Knights! (I like Armstrong, but I just had to bring this tidbit up.)

FIFTH ROUND
#159 WR Mark Bradley, Oklahoma
---Mark Bradley is from my current hometown of Pine Bluff, Arkansas. Say hello to your new return man, Seahawks fans.

SIXTH ROUND
#196 TRADED TO MIAMI FOR A 2006 6TH ROUND PICK

SEVENTH ROUND
#235 QB/P Danny Wimprine, Memphis
---Danny Wimprine was a four-year starter at quarterback for Memphis. Did you also know that he punted as well? During his career at Memphis, he averaged 38.3 yards a punt in 58 attempts. Seahawks fans may never have had the chance to see Tom Tupa in Seahawks uniform, but if you want a possible Tupa-clone, it could be Danny Wimprine.

#254 LB Roger Cooper, Montana State
---Perish the thought, but I'm actually in favor of having a South Kitsap Wolve on the Seahawks roster.

Roger Cooper is the best athlete to come out of South Kitsap since Benji Olson. Olson is enjoying a solid career with the Tennessee Titans. There's no reason for me to think that Cooper can't have a solid career in the NFL either. Sure, he's going to have to fight his way onto the Seahawks roster this summer, but he's definitely got a chance to do it. You don't sleep on athletes like Cooper, regardless of their school. One thing is for sure, I won't bash Cooper at Sports and Bremertonians. He's a South Kitsap guy I can respect.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Pass rushing defensive end? David Pollack.

Depth at linebacker? Barrett Ruud.

Replacement for Robbie Tobeck when the time comes? Ben Wilkerson.

Possible Shaun Alexander insurance? Ciatrick Fason.

Hard nosed defensive player? Jeb Huckeba.

Right tackle? Calvin Armstrong.

Kick returner? Mark Bradley.

Punter/3rd string quarterback? Danny Wimprine.

Sleeper? Roger Cooper.

If the Seahawks can select at least one of these players, I'd be a happy camper. It took me a while to do this post. I could only imagine how long a full, 7-round mock draft would take.

WE HAVE SEAHAWKS FREE AGENCY NEWS!

Cornerback Andre Dyson, formerly of Tennessee, 5 years, $17.5 million

Wide receiver Jerome Pathon, formerly of New Orleans, terms not disclosed

Linebacker Jamie Sharper is officially a Seahawk and Chad Brown has been released, according to Mike Sando at the Tacoma News Tribune.

IN TIM I TRUST

ITIT!

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page