<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

NO RESPECT 

If there's ever a team that doesn't get any respect whatsoever, it's the New England Patriots.

When the Patriots entered the playoffs, it was all but a forgone conclusion that Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts would finally beat the Patriots in Foxboro. You all know what happened with that. Oh, and how about the proclamation that the Pittsburgh Steelers with rookie quarterback Ben Roethlisberger were going to knock off the Patriots in the AFC Championship Game? We also know what happened with that.

My point is, the New England Patriots are the most disrespected championship-caliber team in NFL history. I've had this conversation with a few people at my school and I'm sure some of you may have had this conversation once or twice with fellow football fans as well. Why are people dismissing the Patriots?

"There are no superstars on the Patriots, Jeremy"


Tom Brady isn't a superstar? I'd consider him a superstar. Any quarterback that goes 33-4 in the last two seasons combined (2003 and 2004) is a superstar. I've heard the argument of how Brady doesn't deserve to be considered as a good quarterback just because he plays in New England. I guarantee you that Rick Mirer wouldn't have the same type of success in New England with this same team.

Corey Dillon isn't a superstar? He's ran for over 1,000 yards 7 out of his 8 seasons in the NFL. To this day, I'm still floored at how the Cincinnati Bengals just gave away Dillon. Granted, Dillon wasn't happy in Cincinnati. But anybody who says that Rudi Johnson is a better running back than Corey Dillon doesn't know football.

I can go on. Richard Seymour isn't a superstar? Tedy Bruschi?

"But the Patriots have been lucky, Jeremy"

No, I would say that the Patriots have been good enough to win as many ballgames as they have over the past few seasons. Case in point, the Oct. 17 game against the Seahawks. The Patriots cause two Seahawks turnovers early in the game and go up 17-0 before the Seahawks knew what hit them. The Patriots will make teams pay for their mistakes. See last Sunday's AFC Championship Game. The key to beating the Patriots?

Don't turn the football over.

"The NFL is weaker, Jeremy"

The NFL is designed for every team to finish 8-8, because of the salary cap. But the Patriots are a great organization, on and off the field. It begins at the top with owner Robert Kraft. Scott Pioli is regarded as the top executive in football today and Bill Belichick is one of the smartest men to ever coach in the NFL. These aren't your Victor Kiam Patriots, folks.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

To get a better look into the New England Patriots, I'd suggest reading "Patriot Reign" by Michael Holley. I picked it up earlier today at my local library and while I've only read one chapter so far, I'm giddy with anticipation to read the rest of it. The real reason for me to read "Patriot Reign" is so I can understand how the Patriots work as an organization. It's one of the more fascinating sports stories I can remember in a long time. Who knows, I may just start up the Sports and Bremertonians Book Club and have monthly book reviews, starting with "Patriot Reign". We'll see though.

Point being, I'm impressed by the Patriots. I wish my team could be in their position right now. The Seahawks have just as much talent as the Patriots. However, there's one thing the Patriots have and the Seahawks don't...

A killer instinct.

If you disagree with me on that, then by all means take a look back at the first St. Louis game from October 10.

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page