<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, November 11, 2003

REHASH 

Back on September 26, we were all ticked off over how the Mariner season was ending up. Another unfortunate thing was that I detrimentally had messed with the HTML byline coding so that the permalinks didn't work. So it's because of that that I have to cut-and-paste what I'm about to post rather than just link you there because it won't work.

My hair-brained 6:20pm post on Sept 26 involved this:
I got a three-way deal that probably won't happen; I haven't taken contract length into account or anything at all. So this trade probably has no chance in hell of happening. That said...

to SEA: Pat Burrell (from PHI)
to PHI: Preston Wilson (from COL), maybe a Craig Anderson or something (from SEA)
to COL: Jeff Cirillo and cash (from PHI via SEA) and two minor-league arms or something (from PHI)

Now, my attempt at rationale. With Cirillo and Burrell, based on this year's stats, you're trading crap for crap. Of course, Burrell has more power and upside, so that's where the Craig Anderson or some minor-league arm comes into play. Of course, the Phils don't want Cirillo if they have David Bell. But do they want Preston Wilson (again, no research)? That's where they send Cirillo. If there's one thing Cirillo could use, it's the false sense of security and confidence that Coors Field exudes, right? And of course, Cirillo sucks, so the Phils would sweeten the pot with a couple minor-league arms or something.


My other hair-brained post at 10:39pm was...
Okay, here's a trade that once again, probably won't happen.

to SEA: Eric Byrnes
to OAK: Jamal Strong, cash considerations

The cash is only to offset the fact that Byrnes has legit Major League experience. I guess my only rationale for Oakland here is that they could use more speed. BUT, my rationale for Seattle is this -- Eric Byrnes had an AWESOME FIRST HALF and A PUTRID SECOND HALF!!! He'd fit right in!!


Okay, both those posts are hogwash, but the first one would unload Cirillo, and I'm still all for that because I think Burrell is way more likely to turn it around than Cirillo. But would I rather pick up Burrell over...Vlad Guerrero? No way. I don't have to tell you Guerrero is sure-fire compared to a gamble on Pat Burrell, but I also know which of those two deals I think this ownership would be more likely to pull the trigger on, and it sickens me.

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page