<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, November 11, 2003

CIRILLO 

I had to go back and clarify my screwed-up mind in regards to the Jeff Cirillo deal from a couple years ago. For some reason, I'd thought that the Mariners had to sign him in order for the deal to go through, when in fact Jeremy was right in saying the Mariners were taking on the contract extension that had yet to go into effect that the Rockies gave him. Here's what I got with the Google cache in the form of a Times article.

The search was "jeff cirillo" "four-year contract."

The article said that Cirillo "may [have been] willing to restructure his contract to help the Mariners meet payroll." Man, I wish that was still the case...maybe knock him down to about $500k/yr.

Also from the article, "[t]he Mariners [were balking] at guaranteeing a fourth year in offers to [Jason Schmidt and Bret Boone]." They were offering Schmidt $22M to $23M over three years with a 4th year optional (I'm guessing that was a team option and not a player option).

So yes, I'm wrong, I'm a bastard. I'll own up to that. I just badly wanted Jason Schmidt that offseason, that's all. It all comes down to that, since my ballyhooed argument for Jason Schmidt-instead-of-Jeff Cirillo either/or for a four-year contract is pretty much shot down. I guess I have to go with never making the trade in the first place, but then I'd probably be all over the brass for not trying to plug the hole at third base.

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page