<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, July 05, 2004

CUT HIM SOME SLACK 

So John Olerud doesn't want to waive his no-trade clause. Good for him.

Olerud did say yesterday that it wasn't out of the realm of possibility that he would accept a trade under the right circumstances. Those circumstances revolve around his family, who live in Seattle and have no wish to move. His son, Garrett, will start school in the fall.

"For me to accept, it would have to be a situation where it was good for my family," Olerud said. "If we were going to a place where he could go on the field to shag balls or where he could fly on the plane for road trips, that would be something I would consider.

"I think something like that might be a great memory for my son."

Garrett Olerud starts school this fall, just as he turns 6.

"Those are perks you don't get here," the first baseman said. "That being said, being here in Seattle is pretty hard to beat."


I didn't think many fans complained at the time when Olerud signed with the Mariners. While he has struggled in the last year and a half, his defense is still solid. I for one won't forget the impact Olerud has had on this Mariner ballclub since 2000.

There's a reason why Olerud left New York to come to Seattle. He wanted to come home. For a player of Olerud's caliber, I certainly won't bash him for that.

While Olerud talks about his son Garrett in the P-I today, he didn't mention his daughter Jordan. His daughter was born in 2000 with abnormalities in her chromosomes, requiring frequent hospital visits. Here's a March 2002 P-I article on Olerud and his family, one of the rare moments Olerud has discussed his family.

John Olerud has done more than enough in his career to earn my respect. He's one of the classiest people I've ever met. He's also a damn good ballplayer, his struggles in 2003 and 2004 not withstanding.

And I agree with Steve. Give Olerud a rousing sendoff. He deserves it.

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page