<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, April 20, 2004

HOMER 

I'll start by saying Rick Rizzs will be tied into this post.

Last night, I posted a bunch of semi-transcribed postgame notes from the swan song of the Canucks' 34th season. Tom Larscheid has been in the booth with the Canucks since 1977 as the color commentator. He's been around the team for quite a while, and it's fair to say he knows what to expect from the team, knows when things are going bad, and knows when things are going good. I'll pull some of what he said from the notes last night because the notes are long, I know that.

Keep in mind, I can't promise that these are exact quotes (the information comes at me pretty quick), but they're close....

"We've raved about the chemistry, togetherness, and leadership on this Vancouver team, yet we saw a team (Calgary) that had more of all of those things than Vancouver, and that's the biggest disappointment."

"They didn't force the play, they didn't apply any speed or pressure. They were not a team that dictated the tone in Game 7 in their own building."

"If you're a contender, you don't lose 3 of 4 on home ice."

"Vancouver played right into [Calgary's] hands in this whole series."

I'm going to say something which most of you already know, but I still need to get it off my chest...

It'll be a cold day in hell before Rick Rizzs ever says anything like that about the Mariners. Tom Larscheid is a great homer when things are going good, even yelling "YESSSSSS!!!!" after a key goal or "EVERYONE LOVES THE COOKER" which he yelled after both of the Matt Cooke goals last night. But when things are going bad, and the team is lackluster, Tom Larscheid (as well as John Shorthouse on the play-by-play) is not going to let the players get away with it.

Quite frankly, the objectivity is absolutely enviable, and I long for the day that I hear it from someone sitting in the seat of the #2 play-by-play man of your Seattle Mariners. Of course, another guy that doesn't let the players get away with being crappy: Kevin Calabro. If someone puts up a terrible shot, is playing crappy defense, or the whole team is turning over the ball, he'll get on them.

Anyway, I'm not just going to miss the Canucks over the offseason, I'm going to miss John Shorthouse and Tom Larscheid, who are a more-than-solid radio crew. Lastly, for those who don't know, Shorthouse is one of those guys whose voice sounds a lot older than he actually is. I posted mainly about the bad moments and Larscheid willing to call the Canucks out on them, but some sound clips of the happy moments over the past couple years are here in mp3 format.

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page