<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, February 13, 2004

RETRO FEVER 

Here's a few of the games I've been privileged to attend over the past 14 seasons:

August 1, 1990 A's 1, M's 0 (11 innings): Doug Jennings base hit scores Lance Blankenship. Erik Hanson pitches 10 innings before giving way to Mike Schooler. Hanson struck out 11 A's and gave up only 2 hits. Dave Stewart pitched all 11 innings, earning the victory for the A's. This was the first game I ever went to, since I read a certain amount of books at my library that summer. Those were the days. You can read books and get a ticket to a game? Wow! I wish I could do that today, but I know that's not possible. Damn.

August 27, 1995 Yankees 5, M's 2: Scott Kamieniecki vs Tim Belcher. Yee-haw! But it's not the game I remember too much. It's two things.

One, I got a pack of Mother's Cookies Mariners Trading Cards. Who knew how valuable those things would be just two months later. I still have them, thank god. And two, it was the final game that the M's wore the teal jerseys. Jay Buhner infamously called them "softball jerseys". I agree, Bone. They weren't good. At all.

June 24, 1997 A's 4, M's 1: Randy Johnson struck out 19 A's. Mark McGwire hit a 538-foot shot into the second deck concourse in left field at the Kingdome. Two words that still stick with me to this day about that HR: "Holy s***!"

May 30, 2000 White Sox 2, M's 1: This was Class of 2000 Night at the Safe. This was also the night I became a Carlos Lee fan. His 5th inning home run off of Paul Abbott was a thing of beauty. 5/30/00 began the 3-plus year campaign from me to bring Lee to Seattle. Sadly, it failed. All because the "world class human being" Raul Ibanez could come back to Seattle.

August 27, 2000 White Sox 2, M's 1: Freddy Garcia got robbed on this day back in August 2000. He pitched 8 strong innings, but the M's offense couldn't do much against Sean Lowe. It was Sean Lowe's career day, and it had to come against the M's. It fricking figures.

But hey, David, our friend Grant, and I got to see Freddy in the 76 station right across the street from the Safe. That was very cool. Oh, and the Pyramid experience. Dammit, I miss Seattle...and it's because of days like 8/27/00.

June 27, 2002 M's 7, A's 4: Edgar Martinez comes back after two months on the DL. What does he do in his first game back? He hits a home run off of Barry Zito in the 3rd inning. The lesson learned here?

Edgar is great.

And with that, those are a few of the games that I've attended over the years. I could list them all, but for my sanity and yours, I will not do that. Just a hint though, I did work at Safeco Field during the 2000 and 2002 seasons, so with those two seasons combined, I did work at about 120-130 games. So there you go.

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page