<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, April 02, 2007

ATHLETICS! MARINERS! 4/2/07 

Google Earth image

Oakland ATHLETICS (0-0) at Seattle MARINERS (0-0), 3:35p, FSNNW/MLB.tv
Dan Haren (0-0) vs. Felix Hernandez (0-0)

Folks, it's here. Opening day. I can't believe it's already here.

The Sunday moves that finalized the roster included a trade of Travis Blackley to the Giants for Jason Ellison, doubling the South Kitsap contingent on the Mariners' roster, something that doesn't miff me like it used to, but that doesn't mean it doesn't bewilder me. In short, it leaves Rey Ordoñez off the team. I don't know if I'd have been able to live with Ordoñez actually being on the Opening Day roster, and I'm glad I don't have to deal with that thought. Jamie Burke looks to have made the roster as the backup catcher, so at least it's not Rene Rivera.

Then there's the eternal Brandon Morrow debate. I'm really not in favor of having him brought to the big club this soon, and I'm trying to look for positives in this. The only one I could think of is that if his arm or shoulder explodes, it'll be at the big-league level unlike so many of the Mariners' young arms of recent years who have their arms blow out in the minors and never get to show their full potential in the Majors (in Ryan Anderson's case, he never made it to the Majors). Of course, that's a stretch. I think there are too many negatives to outweigh the positives. Something I just thought of is that it would start his Major League service-time clock.

Anyway, it goes without saying, but there is only one Opening Day every year. If the Mariners win, they'll have already guaranteed they won't be swept in the 2007 season series with Oakland. Baby steps.

Lastly, I'll update the all-time numbers page some time around when I jot up the game piece.

Enjoy the season, everyone.

Labels: , ,


/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page