<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, June 27, 2005

TREMENDOUS UPSIDE POTENTIAL 

Bill Simmons apparently knows about Mariners pitching prospect Felix Hernandez.

Felix is part of Simmons' July 4 ESPN The Magazine column, where he writes about the "tremendous upside potential", a phrase coined by Hubie Brown during the 2003 NBA Draft to describe the European draftees.

"...And I have the same feeling about Seattle's Hernandez, a 19-year-old fastballer who "reminds some of a young Dwight Gooden." With my AL-only keeper team falling apart, I swapped Halladay to a contender for three prospects (including Felix the Great). Now I find myself scouring Tacoma's News Tribune for Felix's Triple-A pitch counts and generally treating him like a member of my extended family. When ESPN's Rob Neyer wrote last week that Felix "just might be the best 19-year-old pitcher in more than 20 years," I beamed like a proud father."

Be patient, Mariner fans.

I want to see Felix as much as the next fan. But again, be patient.

In other minor league news, I'm headed up to Little Rock on Wednesday to watch the San Antonio Missions take on the Arkansas Travelers (the Angels' AA affiliate). I'll have a full report late Wednesday night-early Thursday morning. When I saw the Missions last year in Little Rock, they lost. I hope this year is a different story.

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page