<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

MY DAY WITH THE MISSIONS 

Instead of watching yet another Ryan Franklin "lack of run support" exhibition, I went up to Little Rock tonight to watch the Mariners Double-A ballclub, the San Antonio Missions, who were playing the Angels' Double-A team, the Arkansas Travelers.

Ray Winder Field is a lovely ballpark, it really is. Built in 1932, the ol' ballpark in west Little Rock has seen a lot of solid Major Leaguers on its field. But by the end of next season, Ray Winder may be history, if the voters in North Little Rock have their way. I can see the need for a new ballpark for the Travelers, but at the same time, I love watching ballgames at Ray Winder Field. I've now seen three games at the ol' ballpark. From the tall fence in the outfield shielding home run balls from hitting onto I-630 to the man in suspenders, Bill Valentine, Ray Winder Field is a treasure that I have come to love, albeit just in the last two years.

Anyways, let's talk about the game, shall we? It's not everyday that you're going to get a minor league post here at Sports And Bremertonians. Don't worry, I'm not going to take over the minor league duties from J at Mariner Minors and Devin at Lookout Landing anytime soon. In just a few short months, I'll actually be able to interview athletes again. There wasn't a journalism program at my previous school here in Arkansas, but there is a program up at Arkansas State. It's not just any program, mind you. Arkansas State has one of the better communication schools in the Southeast and I can't wait to be a part of it.

Oh yeah, the game.

Lefthander Bobby Livingston was on the hill for the Missions, who went into tonight's ballgame with a 5-1 record in the second half of the Texas League season. Livingston has done a superb job this year for San Antonio, so I was expecting more of the same tonight in Little Rock.

The Missions' offense gave Arkansas starter Steven Shell fits early in the first inning, with back-to-back walks by Jamie Bubela and Jesus Guzman. But the Missions could only muster just one run, on a Nate Espy groundout to short. Missions 1-0.

Shell would retire 14 of the next 16 Missions batters, but allowed a double to Bubela in the 6th inning. The double extended Bubela's hitting streak to 19 games. Two batters later, T.J. Bohn drove in Bubela with an RBI single. Missions up 2-0.

As for Livingston, he deserved much better tonight. He would allow just 3 hits and a walk in the first 6 innings. But the 7th inning was a nightmare defensively for the Missions. And yes, it was a nightmare.

Arkansas Bottom 7th

Mike Napoli walks.
Kendry Morales flies out to center fielder Gary Harris.
Tommy Murphy singles* on a ground ball to third baseman Jesus Guzman. Mike Napoli to 2nd.
Gregory Porter singles on a ground ball to right fielder T. J. BohnJr. Mike Napoli scores. Tommy Murphy to 3rd.
With David Gates batting, wild pitch by Bobby Livingston, Tommy Murphy scores. Gregory Porter to 2nd.
David Gates singles* on a ground ball to left fielder Jaime Bubela. Gregory Porter to 3rd.
Mike Eylward singles* on a ground ball to third baseman Jesus Guzman. Gregory Porter scores. David Gates to 2nd.
Reggie Willits grounds into double play, shortstop Adam Jones to first baseman Jesse Hoorelbeke. Mike Eylward out at 2nd.


Note those three asterisks by "single".

All three balls should have been played better than they were. Livingston was pitching a good game and for the defense to just piss on his outing was just unacceptable for me. And for the Arkansas scorer to give all three of those plays hits was just bush league at best. But that's how the hometown scorers roll, crediting their guys with the hits so the opposing pitcher takes the beating in the boxscore. It's gone on for years and it will go for many more years after this one. That's baseball, folks.

Livingston was able to get out of a earlier jam in the 3rd inning when Arkansas had runners on first and second base with 0 outs. Mike Eylward would lay down a sacrifice, sending runners to second and third with 1 out. Livingston would then retire Reggie Willits and Alberto Callaspo to end the 3rd inning. I was sold on Livingston after that inning, let me tell you. He's going to be a nice pitcher in the Mariners rotation, should he make it up to Seattle. I like Livingston's toughness. He's got good makeup and the Mariners could use attitudes such as Livingston's. Oh wait, Bobby Madritsch has that same type of makeup but hasn't pitched much in 2005. I hate this team sometimes, I really do.

The Travelers would go on to win 3-2, snapping San Antonio's 5-game winning streak. Not only do I hate poor defense, I also hate it when the final out comes on a guy getting caught stealing. Gary Harris would get thrown out at second to end the ballgame with Adam Jones at the plate. Just terrible.

Lines, lines, and lines!

Bobby Livingston (7-4, 2.87 ERA): 7 IP, 3 ER, 7 H, 4 K, 2 BB
Jamie Bubela: 1-for-3, 2B, 2 R
T.J. Bohn: 1-for-3, RBI single
Eddy Menchaca: 2-for-3, 2B
Adam Jones: 0-for-3, 1 K

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Notes from the ballgame tonight in Little Rock

---I thought the Chicken Dance was just an Arkansas thing. Until I reminded myself that Motley Crue lead singer Vince Neil did the damn Chicken Dance in Cincinnati last year. Yes, I've watched VH1's "40 Least Moments in Metal" a few times.

THAT'S NOT METAL, VINCE!!!

---Even though the Missions' roster isn't too exciting, I had more fun watching baseball tonight than I have in a long time. Let's put it this way, tonight's game was much better than last year's 7-1 debacle that I went to in Little Rock involving the Missions.

---People watching in the South is fun as hell. Seriously, you should try it some time. It also helps that some of the women down here are just outstanding. Speaking of hot, it was close to 100 degrees today. And yet I went to a ballgame tonight. I'm insane, but you knew that already.

---Since the Arkansas Travelers are part of the Angels' system, there's a ton of Angels merchandise at the souvenir stand. Yes, there are ThunderStix. I was thisclose to popping a pair of ThunderStix over a few seats from me. But I was in a decent mood. Before the bottom of the 7th inning, that is.

---Ray Winder Field is a great place to watch a game. I'd say it's the best minor league park that I've been to. Of course, I haven't been to Autozone Park in Memphis yet. But give me time, because I'll hit a game there within the next year.

I'll post my photos in a few minutes, so that post will be above this one.

You've just read the longest 1-game minor league recap in the Mariners blogosphere this season. Good deal. Photos coming, I promise.

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page