<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, February 10, 2005

FREDEXED TO DEATH 

I can't believe I've read what I just read.

At this point, Freddie Mitchell is above Terrell Owens on the "most hated players in football" list. Of course, that's the only thing "Fred Ex" is above T.O. on.

On Wednesday, Mitchell need no such podium to take more shots at the NFL champions.

"It was kind of like me being facetious and kidding around. They blew it way out of proportion," Mitchell said of his pregame comments. "[Their reactions] reminded me of little girls. They're sensitive. Real, real sensitive.

"Now the thing that bothers me the most is you've got everybody talking now. ... I've got [Patriots coach Bill] Belichick even throwing remarks about me. It's like, 'Man, did I hurt you that bad that you have to go out and shout my name?' Troy Brown saying something, Mr. Belichick saying a little something. It's funny how I got under their skin."


Mitchell wasn't able to get "under their skin" on the field, however, with just one reception for 11 yards. He had one fewer catch than Harrison, who intercepted Donovan McNabb twice.

But to hear Mitchell on Wednesday, even that wasn't his fault. Mitchell argued that the surprising play of Terrell Owens contributed to his own minimal contribution.

"T.O., he came and did an excellent job ... but that really took away from my play time and my opportunities," Mitchell said. "I couldn't shut a lot of people up that I wanted to shut up. That really hurt the situation."

Owens had nine catches for 122 yards in his first game since undergoing surgery six weeks ago for his severely injured ankle. Still, Mitchell is confident he'll get his chance to be "in the position to make a play or ... to be the marquee guy."


[...]

In the days since the Eagles loss, much of the media attention has shifted to McNabb and his teammates' claims he was sick to his stomach during the fourth quarter of the game.

Center Hank Fraley, in a TV interview, said that McNabb nearly puked in the huddle in the final minutes of the game and had trouble calling plays to the team. Fraley said at one point Mitchell had to call the play for McNabb.

Mitchell offered his take on what happened.

"Donovan, he dry heaves a lot when he gets under certain situations. It's happened before. It's happened in the NFC Championship game.

"He was dry heaving and he couldn't get the words out in the play, so he gave me hand signals. ... I basically called the play and knew what the coaches were thinking in that situation. I called the play out and went on from there."


--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

1. You do not disrespect the defending Super Bowl champions.

2. You do not disrespect the defending Super Bowl champions.

3. Terrell Owens is a much better football player than Freddie Mitchell.

4. Freddie Mitchell would have never gained an ounce of attention if it weren't for Owens getting hurt on Dec. 19 against Dallas.

5. Did this current bunch of Eagles ever get to the Super Bowl without Owens? I don't think so. (While Owens didn't play in the NFC playoffs, he was a huge reason why the Eagles were able to have homefield advantage.)

6. Mitchell's numbers in the 2003 NFC Championship Game against Carolina? 4 receptions, 38 yards. He didn't play in the 2002 NFC Championship Game against Tampa Bay, the last game in Veterans Stadium.

7. Tell me which first-round pick you would rather have on your team, McNabb or Mitchell?

8. 1 catch, 11 yards in Super Bowl XXXIX.

By the way, I don't want Freddie Mitchell in Seattle. He's the type of player I can't stand at all. What the hell has he done in the NFL since coming out of UCLA? Absolutely nothing. And yet he thinks he's so great?

The phrase "Philadelphia Freedom" doesn't apply to Freddie Mitchell.

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page