<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, January 01, 2005

MEET YOU HALF THE WAY... 

2005 is here.

We're halfway through this decade. It's too early to speculate how this decade will be looked upon years from now, but expect VH1 to create a new series called "I Love The 2000s" in 2011. I'm still flabbergasted as to how they have done the "I Love the 1990s" series already. As a matter of fact, there's going to be a second version of "I Love the 1990s", premiering on January 17. In the immortal words of Lil Jon...

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

Yes, I know the title of this blog is "Sports and Bremertonians". But we've always hit on a lot of topics here, especially if those topics can relate to sports. Some people tell me I'm very good at bringing everything back to sports. It's a gift, I guess.

Before I go on, I'd like to thank the USS Mariner for keeping us linked. Hey, we are the only non-exclusive Mariner blog linked there. We're doing something right. At least I think we are, anyway.

---It's the first day of the new year and it should be no surprise to anyone who reads this that I'm watching the bowl games. Hey, the Outback Bowl was competitive again! Last year, Iowa kicked Florida's ass up and down the Raymond James Stadium turf. This year, Georgia beat Wisconsin by 3 points, although I never did have the feeling that the Badgers would win this game. Their 9-0 start has been long forgotten, as they close out the 2004 season with 3 straight losses (Michigan State, Iowa, and now Georgia).

---Iowa is currently leading LSU, 17-12, in the Capital One Bowl. It used to be called the Citrus Bowl, but that evil company known as Capital One took over the naming rights. I call Capital One evil because they always send me junk mail. It never fails to see at least one Capital One letter every two weeks. I rip it up immediately, because I know it's not a letter from the hot brunette that was in one of their commercials last fall. Story of my life.

---The Gator Bowl? It's the one bowl game on New Year's Day I don't care about at all. It's also the only bowl game the Notre Dame Broadcasting Company televises. The next "meaningful" sporting event to be televised on NBC will be Arena Football next month. It would have been the NHL, but we all know that's not the case.

---The Cotton Bowl is a f**king dump. It doesn't help matters that Tennessee destroyed Texas A&M 38-7. I watched 30 seconds of this game. Then I realized, "how can I take a bowl game seriously by a network that doesn't televise college football at all during the regular season?" By the way, FOX will take over the BCS TV rights in 2007. That's if there's a BCS in 2007.

---(Edit at 11:35 Pacific: No word on whether The List Eater decided to show up in Dallas or not. You need to watch the video in that link. It's worth it, trust me.)

---Ugh. I just saw Mack Brown walk into the Rose Bowl on ABC. Like Christine Taylor in "Dodgeball", I just think I vomited in my mouth.

---This is the one time where I'll root for Michigan. This has nothing to do with Cal at all. I hate Texas with a passion. This was the case before I moved to Arkansas, in case you were wondering. Seeing burnt orange in Pasadena...

---Yep, that was me vomiting in my mouth again, because I couldn't finish that sentence.

---Hey, we have college basketball today! ESPN has Georgia Tech-Kansas. It's a rematch of the Elite Eight matchup last season, which the Yellow Jackets won. If I had to choose 5 venues where I would want to watch a college basketball game, here's my list:

Gallagher-Iba Arena (Oklahoma State)
Allen Fieldhouse (Kansas)
Bud Walton Arena (Arkansas)
Smith Center (North Carolina)
Rupp Arena (Kentucky)

Honorable mention: L.A. Sports Arena (USC)

Yeah, I'm joking. The L.A. Sports Arena is pathetic.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

We'll keep on bringing it this year, I can promise you that.

Hook this, Mack.

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page