<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

ESPN NHL PLAN 

ESPN.com has their plan for a new NHL up right now.

ESPNHL (click on image at ESPN.com)

As far as I'm concerned, this plan isn't credible, simply because of the fact that San Jose wouldn't have a team in this "new NHL". Yet South Florida would still have the Panthers. How in the hell does that make sense? San Jose is one of the best hockey towns in North America but according to this plan, there wouldn't be a team there anymore?

The plan suggests a 20-team NHL. That's fine and dandy, but I think that's too low. Yes, the NHL was a 21-team league until the Sharks joined in 1991. But we're in 2005 and 20 teams wouldn't be enough. I'm not totally in favor of contraction, but if there was to be contraction, I wouldn't mind a 28-team league. The teams I'd get rid of? Florida and Carolina. Why wouldn't I get rid of Nashville and Atlanta? The Thrashers are building a good fanbase in Nashville and the while the Thrashers are based in a horrible pro sports town, Atlanta has money. The NHL wouldn't contract Atlanta, I can guarantee you that.

The 20-team ESPN NHL would feature four divisions, the Pacific (Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver), Midwest (Colorado, Chicago, Dallas, Minnesota, St. Louis), North (Montreal, Boston, Detroit, Toronto, Hartford), and South (Atlanta, Miami, New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia).

You see why this plan isn't credible? I can't support a plan that would see the Penguins being contracted, despite their financial problems. Nor can I support a plan that wouldn't have a team in San Jose.

If I had a say in the new NHL, as far as the divisions go:

PACIFIC: Anaheim, Colorado, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Jose
NORTHWEST: Calgary, Edmonton, Minnesota, Vancouver
CENTRAL: Chicago, Columbus, Dallas, Detroit, St. Louis

I'd move the Avalanche to the Pacific Division, the Stars to the Central, and the Predators would move to the Southeast Division in the Eastern Conference.

ATLANTIC: New Jersey, New York Rangers, New York Islanders, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh
NORTHEAST: Boston, Buffalo, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
SOUTHEAST: Atlanta, Nashville, Tampa Bay, Washington

The Predators are now in the Southeast Division, where they really belong. They would be able to have two very good Southern rivalries with the Thrashers and Lightning.

My league would be 28 teams, 14-team leagues. The Northwest and Southeast Divisions would be four teams instead of five, but I think moving the Preds to the East makes sense, as well as moving the Avs to the Pacific Division in the West.

While I would love to see Winnipeg with a team, I don't see that happening anytime soon. ESPN's plan would have a team in Hartford, but I don't see that happening either.

I'd also be in favor of having hockey on HDTV. I've seen hockey on HDTV on one occasion, when I watched the entire Flames-Coyotes game on HDTV at Magnolia Hi-Fi one day. The game is absolutely incredible on HDTV. You have to see it to believe it.

This is just a short-term version of my plan for the NHL. When I get more time, I may post my entire plan. And since we won't be seeing any NHL hockey until the fall at least, there will definitely be some time.

Did I mention that I miss hockey? I don't have a minor league team to watch in person here in Arkansas, so the void is definitely bigger for me. It's not cool at all.

So in the meantime, I'll keep on watching some of my hockey tapes to fill the void. It's not enough though.

It's just too bad that we're in the minority in this country as far as hockey goes.

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page