<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, July 19, 2004

TILES 

Time sure flies by fast, doesn't it?
 
It was 10 years ago today that four ceiling tiles of the Kingdome roof fell into the stands, sending the Mariners on the road until August 11, the last day of the 1994 baseball season.
 
Where was I on July 19, 1994? I was in California, less than a week away from heading up to Washington to visit my relatives. I wanted to go to a Mariner game during my vacation, but it wasn't to be. At the time, I had no idea that I was going to be living in Washington a year from then. At least the Kingdome was fixed by the time I had moved up to Bremerton (for the umpteenth time; I had lived in the Bremerton area 3 previous times).
 
While the events of July 19, 1994 left the Mariners homeless, for lack of a better term, it also proved to be a prelude to what would happen in the future.
 
---The Mariners win the A.L. West in 1995
---Safeco Field opens
---The Kingdome is reduced to rubble
 
The ceiling tiles falling proved to be the best thing to happen to Seattle sports off the field. 10 years later, two relatively new stadiums take up the landscape, not to mention an exhibition center as well.
 
Outdoor baseball and football, what a concept, eh?

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page