<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, July 24, 2004

THANKS AND PRAISE 

I reached Bremerton safely about three hours ago.

Here's the last campish/Oregon-related post before I move back into the full swing of things. It's basically a thank-you list, so it might read like CD liner notes, except with hopefully a little more pizzazz, and it won't be totally bereft of sports, because we were shacked up with some OSU Beavers, after all. I guess I'll slightly forewarn that if I've ever made a post that I'd advise people they might want to skip it, it'd be this one. But you never know, there might be some nuggets in there you might like.

Thanks to...

(**Mitchell)
-- mapping partners at one time or another for their assistance; Andy, short Adam, big g'Adam, Brian, Cris, Kyle, Mark, Shane, Ryan, Seth, and Cody. Sorry y'all had to put up with my boundless field geology ineptitude

-- Kyle, who apparently is a cousin of Scott Hatteberg, for providing endless movie quotes (Arnold: Run to de chopper...do iiiit!) and endless slanguage. It's all in the delivery. For the record, he did marvel at my copy of Baseball Prospectus 2004

-- Ryan, the sports fan who doesn't care much about baseball, for not flying off the handle when I'd give him a Mariner score. I've told him to watch his step at the Beaver/Husky game at Montlake if he's in the bleachers

-- short Adam and Cris, whose musical preferences where quite aligned with mine (ball got rolling with Rush and Velvet Revolver, respectively), which led to timely musical discussion, a rarity outside my circle of friends

-- Mark (student) for putting some life into camp by getting frustrated, dropkicking his clipboard, driving his rockhammer through his map, then walking the 10+ miles from the field back to camp

-- Mark (cook) for cooking the food so we didn't have to, and giving us a ready-made source for impressions

-- Mikey Bizzle (Central) for being the big funny Norwegian dude he is

-- Angie, because it's totally worth it to see when she gets evil (hilarious and scathing impressions and/or semi-diatribes)

-- Joe for not playing dumb stuff like the Backstreet Boys on my guitar...oh wait, he did. That's pretty much all you need to know about Joe

-- Shane for giving the camp something else to talk about...we'll just say he was at a certain "nightclub" in Redmond (Oregon) where he was 86'd and tried to come back in, then wasn't at camp for the next day's activities

-- TAs Jeremiah, Mehgan, Kim, Deron (or DeRon, our fictional starting point guard), Kaleb, Denise, and John for their endless assistance and (usually) less geekiness and gung-honess compared to the professors

-- the professors -- the Jeffs and John for their assistance and knowledge; yes, six weeks in captivity may give you Stockholm Syndrome

-- Seth, three-year fellow geology cohort at Central, who has put up with my crap for the same amount of time, and got an extra dose of it when we were grouped for the final project. Cody and I pretty much would have been screwed without him. And I can't forget the Full Metal Jacket quotes (Don't touch me!! Lean forward and choke yourself!!)

-- Cody, because issues of Maxim and Stuff really aren't that bad when you're taking a long extended break from mapping in the field. Randy the Pineapple and Hiroki the Japanese food critic were starting to grow on me. Cody was also able to fill in quotes/references that I forgot, i.e., the Check Game on The Price is Right. The Brenda Braxton stories were great (a "will you marry me" sign when the news crew pulled up circa Civil War weekend), and so was the dog noise

-- that torrential mudslide-triggering rainstorm for chopping an hour or two of work from last Monday, though at the cost of water damage to everything we took into the field (notebooks, mags, playing cards, etc.)

-- Steve, the ex-Navy seal, who provided very worthwhile input

-- Kelly, who had a not-so-secretly evil mind as well (hilarious)

-- Sarah for being herself (quiet) and representing the Sequim contingent

-- tall Adam, the Nine Inch Nails and South Park freak, for not minding when people called him Big Gay Adam, or simply Big G'Adam or G'Adam

-- Andy, for making some of us feel like horribly inept hikers glad they didn't paired him on any of the later projects (my hand is raised)

-- Dan, notorious for being quiet, and for driving all the way to Sammamish and back with our July 4th "weekend"

-- Mike, for having a sense of humor about his last name. Depending on how you pronounce it, it may/may not have innuendo qualities

This leaves Jen (stratigraphic section drafter), Zeitel (final explanation editor), Mary (diligent), Matt (wholesome), and Morgan (out-of-his-way nice) as the people for whom I couldn't think of a witty reference. Sorry. I'm really hoping I didn't miss anyone, but if I referred to 25 people, then it's right.

(**Bend)
-- a woman named Billie, the first person I talked to in Bend, at the Saturday Market. It was very welcoming and I learned about the 45-foot height limit on Bend's buildings (preserves views and skylines, apparently, but promotes sprawl). Fittingly, she was selling postcards with rocks on them

-- the Bend PD, and the movie theater on 27th for not nailing me when I slept in my car in the parking lot. I didn't totally freeload because I did watch "Dodgeball" in that cineplex

-- Juniper Park, Safeway, and Barnes and Noble for letting me use their spacious bathrooms. Safeway was not freeloaded, but BN was.

-- Wall Street Guitars and Collectibles (I think that's the name), who let me play a vintage Martin 12-string acoustic that sounded great, and would sound even better if I had money

-- the Deschutes County Public Library (I forgot the proper title again) for their useful one-hour temporary internet login/password handouts

-- Pilot Butte, for sticking up above the entire town and offering great photo-ops of the nearby Cascade peaks

-- Mike and the folks at Bleachers (inside Lava Lanes, south flank of Pilot Butte). I can't plug them enough. They were great to me. Mike didn't even give me crap for not sipping a drop of alcohol (I don't drink) the whole time. Yes, no social ridicule for nursing sodas, eating bar food, and watching sports. Basically, I went to Bleachers for dinner when I went to Bend. Bleachers is great now, but they'll blow the doors off the joint when the three plasma screens get put in for football season. They have NFL Sunday Ticket to boot

-- a blond waitress at Cheerleaders (3rd and Greenwood) more restauranty than bar, as Bleachers is). We'll guess she's in the 18-24 age demographic. Whereas the work uniform I'd seen on other waitresses was a shirt bearing the establishment's name, this unfortunately nameless (no nametag) blond waitress wore a lip ring and a Dead Kennedys shirt. I saw it a couple weeks ago as well as yesterday. Point is, I don't know who in management she had to run that through, but she's wearing a Dead Kennedys shirt and a lip ring to work. I took that as gutsy, and frankly, cool as hell. So in the horribly unlikely event she's reading this (seriously, stars would have to align), that's why you got the $2 tip on the $7.50 order, which is an almost 27% tip, greater than what I usually give (double the sales tax or 10%). Keep keepin' it real. She'd be a real woman of genius. (Bickler: Miss Dead Kennedys shirt-with-Lip Ring and Nicely Styled Hair Standout Waitress Gal) (to clarify: I had lunch/breakfast foods at Cheerleaders)

-- the Bend Fieldhouse for letting me use their batting cages in the first place and also letting me finish off the tokens from last month when I stung my hand somehow and couldn't go on. I got some good hacks in today. There's a high-schoolish kid that works there that kinda looks like a mini-Bret Boone. It's hilarious.

(**lastly)

-- the Kirks and Justin Adrian, for giving me something local to root for

-- Jeremy for keeping Sports and B's as close to full speed ahead as possible

-- you readers for sticking with us and sticking with Jeremy for the past six weeks
===
For those of you who read this post, I hope you were at least mildly entertained.

It's good to be back. I've missed everything about this.

Sports and Bremertonians now returns to its regularly scheduled programming...

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page