<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, June 13, 2004

1993 

While we're on the topic of the 1993 Seattle Mariners, I'll bring up the one and only MLB game I attended that season.

Sunday, August 15, 1993
California Angels at Seattle Mariners

I was visiting my relatives in Washington for a couple of weeks during the summer of 1993. My uncle took me, my brother, and my cousin (my uncle's son) to the Mariners game that Sunday afternoon. It was a 3:05 start because of the Old Timers' Game that took place before the game. Those were the days!

I can't remember every single player that played in that game, but I remember Gaylord Perry and Julio Cruz. Our seats were in the second deck in left field. I just thought it was so cool to see Perry at the time. During the early 1990s when Perry played in these old timers games, he would have a jersey that had every single team he had played for on the front. For trivia purposes, he played for the Giants, Indians, Rangers, Padres, Yankees, Braves, Mariners, and Royals during his 22-year career.

What pissed me off about this game was that Ken Griffey, Jr. didn't play. He didn't play during the Angels series because of his knee. I was disappointed, because I had come up from California expecting to see Griffey play. I didn't get the chance to see the M's play in Oakland in 1993, so for me, this was my only chance to see the M's play in person.

The pitching matchup that day was Phil Leftwich vs Tim Leary. Leary couldn't get out of the second inning, giving up 7 runs on 8 hits. He would retire from baseball in 1994. Thank God.

We've complained about the lineups that Bob Melvin has trotted out in the past year and a half. But the lineup the M's had on August 15, 1993...YIKES!

Bret Boone 2B
Dave Magadan 3B
Edgar Martinez DH
Jay Buhner RF
Dann Howitt CF
Greg Pirkl 1B
Mackey Sasser LF
Dave Valle C
Omar Vizquel SS

Boone went 0-for-5, Edgar was 3-for-4 with a home run (the only Mariner highlight that day), and Greg Litton would hit a pinch hit home run (he took over for Vizquel in the 7th).

The Angels routed the Mariners 14-2. The Angels had 22 hits in the ballgame. They got all of it that Sunday afternoon in the Kingdome.

The attendance in the Kingdome on August 15, 1993?

21,593

No Griffey, but I still had fun that day. Of course, I was 11 at the time and I was just thrilled that I was going to a Mariner game on my summer vacation. Hopefully next summer when I hope to visit my relatives in Washington I'll get to see the M's play.

But not in the Kingdome, of course. Thank God for that.

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page