<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, April 04, 2004

THANK YOU, SIR, MAY I HAVE ANOTHER? 

Jeremy posted last night about how Paul DePodesta burned Bill Bavasi in the Looper-and-Ketchner-for-Jolbert Cabrera trade.

For some reason, I didn't make the connection until a few hours after I heard about it, but Paul D's gone and done it again. He hasn't burned Bavasi directly in a trade involving the Mariners this time, though. He just went and nabbed exactly what the Mariners needed even though it was right under their nose.

Milton Bradley to LA for Franklin Gutierrez and a PTBNL. Jeff says the cost for the Dodgers was fairly high, whereas Steve says Gutierrez was a 21-year-old in A-ball. I could try to say something intelligent, but I won't. I'll just say that all I know is the Mariners didn't fill one of their needs, and worse yet, they're taking duplicate players.

So in the span of 24 hours, Bill Bavasi has been a textbook case of the "fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me" adage. Over the course of the offseason, though, I think that old adage would have to be adapted, using some word grossly beyond the tame words of "shame" or "fool" and with a number in the neighborhood of the twenties.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. ... Fleece me twenty-five times, severe food poisoning to the point where I have to give up my job on me."

Bob Melvin has just said that maybe Ed Guardado slept on his shoulder wrong, and apparently preliminary tests say his arm strength was there. He felt some stiffness in the bullpen, and came out to the mound to see if it would go away, and it didn't. Now sure, I don't think the Mariners are going to exceed 88 wins this year, but it'd be really sad to see both Spiezio AND Guardado bite it before the season and hamper the Mariners' efforts toward some semblance of goodness this year.

Anyway, it's off to the lab for me...I gotta get away from FSNNW's Mariner postgame optimism Kool-Aid. Hey, look, it's Jack McDowell of Yahoo! Sports!! Twenty bucks says Rich Waltz doesn't ask him about the Mark Prior steroid remarks!!

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page