<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, March 25, 2004

VOY A DORMIR 

I was originally going to pack it in for the night, but then I found one thing truly worth noting about, but I'll build it up for you and comment on the other things first...

First off, Kelley on Freddy Garcia. Not too much new stuff, other than some references to the new slider, and Bryan Price noting that Freddy may have built his own expectation to the point where his getting booed last year was facilitated and magnified.

Secondly, Hickey on Mike Myers. Yes, Mike Myers, over 30, good guy as far as we know, and former Diamondback. Just give this guy the roster spot and move on. I've referenced it before, but when I think of a specialty pitcher trying to throw something different (like Myers trying to throw three-quarters) I think of Tim Wakefield trying to sneak a fastball past Mike Blowers in the Kingdome.

What I really wanted to comment on was something in the P-I notebook article. Ryan Franklin is trying the splitter. If that can get him to strike more guys out (so they don't fly out as much), then that's great. Four of the Mariners' final five exhibition games are in NL parks, so they're going to try to get SD to play by AL rules for a game to get Edgar some at-bats. I'll guess that it's going to be a snub.

So what did I want to comment on?

Lumbering Chicago DH Frank Thomas tagged up at second base and went to third in the third inning, challenging Randy Winn's arm. Winn said he wasn't surprised by the move. "It was just bad mechanics," Winn said of his looping throw that was too late to get Thomas at third.

Here's what I said just two days ago...

...the Mariners' defensive "scheme" allows for runners taking off from second base on a sharp one/two-hopper base hit to centerfield to automatically score, regardless of how many outs there are. ... opposing third-base coaches will have sore shoulders after series with the Mariners if their hitters know how to hit ground balls to centerfield.

Not the same exact play, but you get my point, hopefully. Call me crazy, but I think Frank Thomas gets to third base on that second-to-third play six times out of ten off of Randy Winn. I wish I was lying about this.

Totally unrelated, but since I don't really have anything to comment, I'll leave these two Seahawk links...one about the Bobby Taylor signing, and one for Brian Davis leaving (great column from John Levesque, I thought).

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page