<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, February 04, 2004

WHO WANTS TO BE ON THE MARINER BENCH? 

Reports suggest that we can cross the next two guys off that list --

Ellis Burks has apparently taken a physical for the Red Sox. The Mariners would never need a veteran pinch-hitter who does okay against lefties, right? They would never admit that trading Colbrunn for crap was a mistake. What makes sense is they're not making the move, given their preferences over the offseason. However, Burks is older than dirt and they'd probably overpay for him.

Mike Lamb. The Yankees apparently may decide to plug the whole at third base (at least temporarily) with Lamb in a trade for minor-leaguer Jose Garcia. Kevin Brown immediately suggests trading away for pork, veal, and goat meat in the hopes that an all-meat infield defense will be better than an infield with Jeter/Soriano/Giambi. Here's Jeff's case for Mike Lamb.

Let me once again say to anyone with organizational pull out there that I will gladly be anyone's 22-year-old, 5'7" 165-lb rightie hitter off the bench. I might be able to get you a base hit every once in a while, and I can probably draw a walk (small strike zone), and since I'm slow as hell, you can use Ugueto or one of the many pinch-running possibilities, and they'll be happy to take the field for me. I can fight off the curveball and I think my swing is mechanically flawed to where I hit everything to right field (that's what my final two years of high school ball told me) regardless of whether I'm trying to or not, so that's good if there's runners aboard. Oh yeah, I'm a local boy!

So to answer your question, yes, Mister Bavasi, I will gladly be your rightie bat off the bench.

(this is me praying for the $300k minimum ML salary to come my way...)

[Edit ~3p -- As commented by "typhoon," the minimum ML salary is way higher than the $150k that I originally thought. Proof is here, and the change has been made accordingly. Back when I was a kid, it seemed like the minimum ML salary was $109k for the longest time. Anyway, it's $300k, not $150k.]

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page