<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, February 03, 2004

MARINER INDIGEST 

I don't think it's going to happen, but some Pat Gillick-to-LA speculation has made it into print in the form of this Dave Andriesen article...apparently he has returned to the P-I fold. I'm not sure what Gillick thought about the media nailing him for trade deadline inactivity, but if he pulls that routine in LA, a few more people are going to hear about it. Of course, I'm fairly convinced by now that the whole deadlines thing wasn't all his doing.

You know, I haven't mentioned it yet, but I hope that these good-but-not-good-enough years for the Mariners end up spawning some awesome tell-all autobiographies. Whose autobiographies would I want? Gillick, for one. Jeff Nelson. Lou Piniella. Jay Buhner (if he ever gets off the Mariner payroll). Bret Boone. Jeff Cirillo's autobiography would just be 294 pages of "I suck" printed over and over again, so it wouldn't be too enriching.

The David-opposite-of-endorsed Darrin Beene has some pretty failsafe Tacoma Rainiers material.

Included is this brainless quote --

"Tacoma should be an interesting club to watch because there are a lot of prospects on the team," said Benny Looper, the Mariners' vice president for player development.

It's sad how much of a mail-it-in quote this is. I bet Looper was sitting in the room or on the phone with Beene and the whole time was thinking "Darrin Beene? Who the hell is this guy? I know what I'll do! I'll just mess with him and give him absolutely nothing new to work with. Everybody will already know what I'll give him." If you look at the rest of the Looper quotes in the article, they're so painfully and previously obvious, much in the nature of the quote that I posted. I could bash on about the whole dealing-your-pitching-because-everyone-wants-it-at-the-deadline-except-for-the-one-year-where-everyone-wanted-position-players thing, but it's fruitless because they don't even think of touching any of those arms, with the exceptions of Brian Sweeney and Allan Simpson this offseason, which maanged to net the Mariners approximately nothing.

It's hard to believe the Mariners will be taking the bunch they have right now to spring training in about two or so weeks. I want to be sick.

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page