<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, February 06, 2004

QUICKIE 

Since I'm crazy and doing overdue schoolwork on a Friday night, I'll just put in a tidbit that I thought needed to be mentioned from tomorrow's Dave Andriesen article, saying that the best thing the Mariners can do is sit on Sasaki's windfall.

The roster spot vacated by Sasaki must be filled. The average major league salary is about $2 million, so even getting an average player eats up a chunk.

I did a little baseball-oriented paper for English 101 a little over three years ago and I hashed through some salary figures, and I learned a little something that pertains to what Dave Andriesen is saying. He is saying that the average salary of a ballplayer these days is $2M. What did I learn back then? There's an average salary in the Majors, all right. The first thing I thought about when I read the above passage: the median salary, which, barring something weird happening in salary figures the last few years, is very far below the mean (average) salary -- remember, not everyone is making over $20M a year, but salaries like Alex's and Manny's drive the ML-wide mean figure way up. One might assert from the Andriesen column that any ballplayer the M's pick up is going to make at least $2M. That's not necessarily true, especially given the needs they're trying to fill. If that need is "righty bat off the bench," the player better not be making $2M, and if he ends up making that in Seattle, then the fire for that one can be directed at one William Bavasi.

If I'm totally wrong in the assertion that the median salary has somehow crept closer to the mean salary over the last couple years, I'll be glad to correct myself. This is jsut the first thing that came to mind.

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page