<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, February 06, 2004

DRESSED SO BAD, HE'LL BRING A TEAR TO YOUR EYE 

I'll be back later with a day-late Canuck post, but I had to put this one up for kicks...

Anybody who has seen Hockey Night in Canada on the CBC knows that former coach Don Cherry comes on (with some sort of outrageously loud suit on) during the first intermission to shoot his spiel with Ron McLean in a segment called Coach's Corner.

The revelation now is that Coach's Corner will now be broadcast with a seven-second delay. Why?

Cherry, who turned 70 on Thursday, was discussing the merits of protective visors as mandatory equipment in the NHL when he said: "Most of the guys that wear them are Europeans and French guys."

Now I know most of us south of the Canadian border might look at that and think "white guys. What's the big deal?" But this has ticked off some people in Canada (ethnic dichotomy is different). I'm not sure what the "official languages commissioner" in Canada would have to do with this (Cherry didn't say that in French, right?), but apparently that's who will be sort of investigating this. In the rare case that any reader out there would be willing to clarify what exactly is going on here, that would be greatly appreciated.

If there's one reason to read that article, it's so we statesiders can introduce ourselves to the word "francophone." It's almost like when I was listening to a CKNW in-game news break and there was a shooting in Gastown and the RCMP were looking for two Indo-Canadian males. If I had a nickel every time I've heard the phrase "Indo-Canadian males" in my life, I'd have about four nickels.

It's different up there, folks. But it's cool. I was in Vancouver in 2002 on the day when the MLB players and owners came up with their collective bargaining agreement, so good things happen when I go up there.

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page