<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, December 10, 2003

MORE EDDIE, ALL THE TIME 

Seattle P-I

Seattle Times
Seattle Times---Larry Stone's view on Eddie

Hey hey hey! Well, we're a little late with this than usual, but sue us. We both have finals to study for. School > Everything else in early-mid December.

But anyways...

The Seattle Times' Larry Stone had a great column on the newest Mariner, Eddie Guardado. Stone is without a shadow of a doubt the best baseball writer in the Northwest. It's too bad that he doesn't get more attention throughout the country, because he's definitely better than Jayson Stark and Pedro Gomez.

Guardado's real nickname, of course, is "Every Day Eddie," bestowed by a Minneapolis columnist in tribute to his indefatigable workload as a setup man before ascending to the Twins' closing job in 2002.

It's a moniker he savors, though he was reluctant to hand out the "Every Day Eddie" T-shirts a fan sent him, for fear teammates would think his ego was expanding.

"It's always neat when you have a nickname in professional sports," he said. "I enjoy it. So you don't have to stop calling me that."


He may be reluctant, but I'm expecting some type of Guardado shirt to be sold at Safeco Field as well as outside the ballpark at Sports Warehouse and other stands. I'd buy a Guardado shirt, no doubt about it. And hopefully I'll be able to buy a Tejada shirt as well.

I'm already betting 20 fake dollars that the Safeco DJ will play Dave Matthews Band's "Everyday" as Guardado's entrance music. But as good as DMB's "Everyday" is, I'd go for Sly and the Family Stone's "Everyday People". But unfortunately, the M's are image conscious, so they may decide to avoid Sly and his past problems. Too bad. We are talking about the same team that INTRODUCED the damn "Who Let The Dogs Out?" piece of crap song. We'll just leave it at that.

Trust me, Eddie. Dan Wilson has his own t-shirt as well. I think Willie Bloomsuck may have his own as well. So you're entitled to one as well. You've done more than both Wilson and Bloomsuck combined and more. And believe me, "Everyday Eddie" is a great nickname.

May 25, 2003 Twins at Mariners ESPN Sunday Night Baseball
The Mariners got a telling dose of Guardado last May when he came in to protect a 3-1 lead at Safeco Field. After Bret Boone hit a double, he engaged Edgar Martinez in an epic 14-pitch battle.

"Finally, on the 14th pitch, I said, 'Here you go, Edgar.' I didn't tell him that, but I was talking to myself — 'Here it is. Hit it.' "

Martinez blasted the ball to the warning track in right field, where Dustin Mohr made a leaping, game-saving catch.

"My heart was beating," Guardado laughed. "When he hit it, I thought it was gone. Those are exciting times. But I'm glad I'm on their side now."


That was undisputedly one of my favorite moments of the 2003 season, even though Edgar made the final out of the ballgame. Guardado showed me something that night. I had been a Guardado fan before that ballgame. But after May 25, there was no doubt in my mind that he was a guy I'd love to see in Seattle.

And guess what? He's a Mariner now.

Before leaving the Twins' organization, his home for all 14 years of his career since Minnesota made him a 21st-round draft pick out of San Joaquin Delta JC in 1990, Guardado consulted with Paul Molitor.

Molitor — a former Twins teammate and newly hired Mariners hitting coach — put on a subtle but powerful sales pitch.

"Molly was with Milwaukee for 15 years, and he had to make the same decision I had to make," Guardado said. "He basically told me, 'Do what's best for your family.' He also told me Seattle was a great place to play. He said I was going to be happy. He said, 'Come on — I need you there.' "

The hardest part of the decision, Guardado said, was leaving behind the Twins' organization.

"Believe me, it was a tough decision," he said. "My heart will be in Minnesota, but it's time to close that book and open a new one."


Boy, that decision to bring on Paul Molitor as hitting coach has worked out already, hasn't it? And we're not even in Spring Training yet.

Minnesota is a nice place. I've never been there, but it's nice. The fan support is great. Homer hankies are great as well. Hopefully the Twins can get a new ballpark because the fans there deserve it. Believe me, having to watch ballgames in the Kingdome sucked ass for years. I'd hate to see the fans there have to watch ballgames in the Metrodome until the end of time.

Yesterday, Guardado gushed over his new digs ("I walked into the clubhouse and said, 'You've got to be kidding.' It's huge. So this is a clubhouse."). He raved over the passion and civility of Mariners fans. He met with new teammates Dan Wilson and Jamie Moyer.

Yes Eddie, "this" is a clubhouse. I've been fortunate enough to spend time in the Mariner clubhouse myself, and it is HUGE. And the passion and civility of M's fans is good as well. Well, the passion part among the M's blognation is great. The civility? Well, you'll find out about that after the signing of Miguel Tejada, whether it's in Seattle or another city.

Again, welcome to Seattle Eddie!!!

To add to the great Eddies, how about Eddie Money and Eddy Grant? Hopefully Eddie Guardado is "Eddie Money" and gives us two tickets to paradise, i.e. The World Series. If that happens, Seattle will be "Electric Avenue".

FIRE UP THE MIGGY HOT STOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page