<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, November 28, 2003

CANUCKS 3, SENATORS 2 (OT)...AFTER A SHORT SONIC RANT 

So before I start with the Canuck post here, I gotta say this just past midnight. I go to the Times and P-I sites to see if there's any juicy headlines for the my-birthday editions and I see a couple of notable Sonics headlines next to each other in the Sonics section. The first one says "Wanted by the Sonics: more offense." The one right below that is "McMillan seeks more defense." You know, they haven't fallen off the face of the earth just yet, but you just get the feeling that this is like one of those cases where you come across someone who can't play for crap and you say something like, "he can't hit, he can't throw, he can't field, he can't run -- other than that, he's a great player." If the Sonics need more offense AND defense...then it's worse than we all thought. That and I've heard people say that they're letting the other teams dictate the pace of the game rather than putting up their 90 jumpshots a game like they should be doing.

On to the Canucks...
Couldn't listen to this one tonight...the 56k mixed with ChainCast surely would have made for a crappy listen, probably with a 20-minute delay or something. Dan Cloutier got his 100th career win in net, which included a key save in the waning minutes of regulation to preserve the tie and send it into overtime. That is where Markus Naslund lit the lamp with 42.6 seconds left to get the Canucks a second point in the standings.

Goal scorers for the Canucks tonight were Mike Keane (2, second in two games), Daniel Sedin (3), and Naslund (11).

Top two lines...
Naslund (1 G, 1 A)/Morrison (zip)/Bertuzzi (zip) = 2 pts
D Sedin (1 G)/H Sedin (1 A)/King (1 A) = 3 pts (a lot of times, they score their points on the same goal)

I could rip on the Canucks for blowing the two-goal lead, which is a bad thing, but I'm really glad they didn't blow it late in the third period. There were no goals scored by the opposition (or the Canucks) in the third period, so at least there wasn't a total Cloutier meltdown. Luckily, Naslund was clutch with under a minute left in OT tonight. I can't remember which game it was right now, but I think the Canucks have been on the other side of an defeat late in OT this year, and man, it wasn't a good feeling, even for a novice fan.

The Canucks are at Calgary Saturday night and at the Garage against the same team Thursday night. I don't know why there's such a big gap between the games -- there's no Canadian holiday of any sort.

Speaking of Canadian holidays, I was stupidly hoping today that I'd be able to catch this Canuck game on the CBC. Stupid thought because Canada celebrates Thanksgiving on the second Monday of October. Damn. With that link I just posted, you can also see why the hell Boxing Day is called Boxing Day.

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page