<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, September 08, 2003

RANDOMS 

Sad day in the music world as self-deprecating musician and Paul Shaffer's stand-in on the Letterman show, Warren Zevon has succumbed to lung cancer. The link I got there was an MTV News link, which in a way makes no sense because people that give a crap abot Warren Zevon probably aren't the same ones that visit MTV online, and vice-versa. Anyway, rest in peace, sir Zevon.

The Dick Fain stat that is playing again and again on KJR bumpers is the comparison between the A's and Mariners records past August 15 in 2002 and 2003. Now I think the records used in the commercial are outdated, but since the Mariners and A's have been mirroring each other for the past 8 or 9 days, this is still true -- past Aug 15 in 2002 and 2003, the A's have been 19.5 games better than Seattle. Ouch ouch ouch ouch OUCH. Fain in the same commercial notes that the Mariners have a bunch of players in their regular offense over the age of 34 whereas Boston has one and Oakland has zero. Could they possibly be getting tired?

I think that mirroring stat of 9 days in a row was accurate. On the Mariner telecast yesterday, they mentioned that when Melvin was with Arizona, the D-Backs were behind the Giants and mirrored for about 17 days in a row. I could totally see this happening to the Mariners, and it is something they cannot afford in any way. Well, since Oakland does play tonight, I guess the gain/lose ground thing may end. But by the same token, if the Mariners gain ground today, it won't be because they won.

Another tidbit on roughly the same stat, this from Mariner P-I beat writer John Hickey --

Seattle's 2-1 loss to the Baltimore Orioles yesterday marked the 24th consecutive day the Mariners failed to gain ground in the American League West on Oakland. To put that in perspective, when the A's won 20 in a row last year, the longest the Mariners went without gaining ground in the standings was just 21 days.

Yes, that is the sound of me vomiting. I'm literally sick of being a Mariner fan.

Say hello to another year of Monday Night Football. Not necessarily with the undisputed T&A hire of Lisa Guerrero, who had next to nothing in terms of live/on-scene experience (Locke and Woodward ripped her apart after the preseason game she did), but definitely with the CBS Radio crew of Marv Albert and Boomer Esiason. Marv was a great hire, and is better than Howard David was in the MNF booth. It was great last year when I realized it was Marv's voice on the radio, and it was great to hear his voice doing football. This was a great hire considering the MNF radio legacy held by (the late) Jack Buck and Hank Stram. Those two were great. I used to listen to them when KOMO was still idiotically tape-delaying the game by one hour. Stupid stupid stupid. It was a great day in Seattle (and Portland) when that finally got lifted. Fisher Broadcasting took away years of live MNF from my childhood. However, they did make it easier to coerce people into betting for/against a certain team when you could take advantage of the hour discrepancy, either with radio or my friend's satellite dish.

Another note on football coverage, I commented on Fox graphics with the other post, and now I'll remark about CBS. Now I wasn't stupid enough to watch their pregame show (who is), but I did notice the stereo sound and/or the crowd microphone kicked serious butt on my television. I also noticed that they changed the theme music and it's friggin scary. I don't know what to do with myself when there's a CBS NFL telecast now. I hide in the basement until the sponsors are read and the music is done.

Larry Bowa has gone nuts. He gon' get fiz-ired.

And if you haven't seen them already, take a look at San Antonio Missions mascots Ballapeno and Puffy Taco. Mascots bat 1.000 and never disappoint, unlike certain baseball teams I follow.

Bookending this post with music, there isn't a song right now that gets me pumped more than "Liberate" by Disturbed. I never thought that band would win me over, but they did.

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page