<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, November 19, 2004

IT'S A MADHOUSE! 

Speaking of rivalries, the events that took place in Auburn Hills earlier tonight were disgraceful. There's nothing left to be said about it, other than the fact that the fans and players who were involved should be ashamed of themselves. I may have more on this later, but who knows.

(Link to the Pacers-Pistons incident. It's a large file, so I'm just warning y'all on that.)

If you're a regular visitor to Sports and Bremertonians, you know that I wouldn't let this issue go untouched. Besides, it's something to do on another bored-as-hell Friday night. To echo Remy Zero, somebody saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaave me.

Anyways, the incident in Auburn Hills, Mich. tonight was disgraceful. It reminded me of the incident at the Oakland Coliseum two months ago. This was part of my aftermath post of the Oakland incident:

Let's hope that nothing like this ever happens again. There's no room in sports for this type of stuff. Play ball and behave like adults.

What do you know? Just two months later, I'm feeling the same way again as a sports fan. I love to talk about the events that I see on the field, court, rink, track, etc. I hate to talk about the events that happen off of those locations. But here we are, lamenting yet another blackeye for the world of sports.

This week in sports has been anything but fun. This past Monday, controversy erupted over the intro to ABC's "Monday Night Football". I'm not one to tell anybody what to do with their lives, but I ask everybody who reads this post one question:

What would you rather see, Nicolette Sheridan's bare back or the events that took place in Auburn Hills earlier tonight?

This shouldn't be a hard question. What took place tonight disgusted me as a sports fan. Everyone that was involved is at fault here. It wasn't Ron Artest's fault. It wasn't Ben Wallace's fault. It wasn't Stephen Jackson's fault. It wasn't the fans' fault. It is the fault of everybody that was involved.

When Artest fouled Wallace, it was just a hard foul. But Wallace thought otherwise and shoved Artest hard. Look, I've made light of Artest's rap career here at Sports and B's. However, Artest did what he could to stay out of the mess, laying on the press row table at the Palace of Auburn Hills.

Until some fan threw a bottle of beer at him.

JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE A TICKET DOES NOT MEAN YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO ACT LIKE A MORON! The ticket gives you the right to your seat for the designated game and that's it. I've been to more than my fair share of games in my life. You can ask each and every one of my family members and friends, and they will tell you while I've been loud at games, I've never crossed the line. The line was severely crossed tonight in Auburn Hills.

It was ugly to say the least in Auburn Hills. Fans throwing stuff, some of the Pacers going into the stands (Artest and Jackson), it was just ugly. I will not call the Pistons fanbase any names, because the majority of them were not involved. It was just a few folks who decided to make a name for themselves, to be perfectly honest with you. And thankfully, the game was called. The Pacers won 97-82 when the game was called with just 45 seconds left in the 4th quarter. Too bad that this victory for Indiana won't be remembered, but the ugly incident will be for a long time.

The cliche "players cannot go into the stands no matter what the circumstances are" is still true. But at the same time, a fan doesn't have the right to act like a moron either. Both sides are at fault. Hopefully the police and the NBA take care of this issue in a swift and responsible manner.

Artest has been crucified, for lack of a better word, throughout his entire NBA career. But he's not the only one at fault here. If anything, I think he will get a big suspension and fine, along with Ben Wallace and Stephen Jackson. And the fans that were involved in the incident will be charged and rightfully so.

I'll go ahead and say it again, there's no place for this type of stuff in sports. Hopefully another two months from now, I won't have to see another incident like this. In the fall of 2004 alone, we've seen similar incidents of player/fan misconduct at a baseball game and a basketball game. We certainly don't need this at a football game anytime soon. I would say hockey, but you all know the deal with the NHL right now.

Play ball and act like adults. Is it that hard to comprehend?

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page