<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, November 20, 2004

COLLEGE FOOTBALL RULES 

I've watched a lot of college football this season, but I haven't commented on it too much here at Sports and Bremertonians as much as I've wanted to. No reason for it, it just turned out that way. What can you do?

Anyways, I love Rivalry Saturday. Hell, I love every Saturday of the college football season. I'm sad that it's going to end soon. That's life.

What a Rivalry Saturday it was! Ohio State upsetting Michigan in the Horseshoe, Washington State winning their first Apple Cup since 1997, and Ron Zook's Florida Gators beating Florida State in Tallahassee. Good stuff.

So here's my broke-ass trick college football post. Seriously, I should have done more of these. Dammit.

---I don't care for Ohio State and Michigan, although if I had to choose which team I don't like more, it's the Wolverines. So when the Buckeyes upset the Wolverines in Columbus 37-21 to deny Michigan the opportunity to clinch a Rose Bowl berth, I was giddy. Unfortunately, the giddyness ended when Wisconsin decided not to show up in Iowa City, getting their asses handed to them by the Hawkeyes 30-7. Michigan is the Big Ten, I mean Big Eleven, representative in the Rose Bowl. Even though Iowa lost to Michigan earlier this season, I think the Hawkeyes should be in the Rose Bowl, not Michigan. Their fans deserve to travel somewhere other than Florida this holiday season. But it is what it is.

---Washington State can lay claim to the Apple Cup once again, defeating Washington 28-25 in Pullman. Unfortunately, the Cougars aren't going bowling for the first time since 2000. Chew on this. The Cougs won the Apple Cup with Alex Brink at quarterback. Alex Brink! Yet, Jason Gesser could never win the Apple Cup. (He should have won it in 2002, but he got hurt. Then Matt Kegel decided to suck ass for the remainder of the night. It was to be Rick Neuheisel's last hurrah as Huskies head coach.)

Speaking of Neuheisel, the Huskies failed in their attempt to win the Northwest Championship in 2004. Not only did they fail to do that, they finished the 2004 season at 1-10. Winless in the Pac-10. A program in turmoil, that's what the Washington football program can best be described as. Heaven doesn't need to help the foes of Washington. Heaven needs to help the Huskies find a decent quarterback. And a decent coach. Keith Gilbertson simply wasn't head coach material. It's too bad that he had to go out this way. But those are the breaks.

---Not too much to say about the Florida-Florida State game, except two things:

1. Chris Rix sucks.
2. Where was this fire a few weeks ago in Starkville, MS from Florida?

---The Utah Utes are a tremendous story. They're 11-0 and they're probably headed to the Fiesta Bowl. Urban Meyer has proven to be one of the best coaches in American. No, I don't see him leaving Utah to go to Washington. He's probably going to Florida. But we shall see.

As for the Utes being in a BCS bowl, I love it. If you had to ask me right now which two at-large teams should be in the BCS, they should be Utah and California. Cal gets the nod over Texas simply because the Rose Bowl will gladly take a West Coast team over a team from the Southwest. And look at their lone losses. Cal lost by 6 to USC while Texas was shutout by Oklahoma. This shouldn't be a debate in my opinion. Cal deserves a BCS bowl bid over Texas. Any questions?

---Speaking of the Golden Bears, they own the Axe for the 3rd straight season, destroying Stanford 41-6. This was a penalty-filled game, but the Cal defense stepped it up in Berkeley. They sacked Cardinal quarterback T.C. Ostrander 6 times.

Cal still has one more game to play, in Hattiesburg, MS against Southern Miss on Dec. 4. It's a makeup game from September because of Hurricane Ivan. It's not going to be an easy game for the Golden Bears. I remember back to 1998 when UCLA was undefeated but had to travel to Miami for a game in December. They lost that one. Now, I don't think Cal will suffer that same fate. Let's hope not, anyway.

---I don't want to talk about the South Carolina-Clemson game at all. Just scroll down to my Pacers-Pistons post from last night and interject some thoughts about the Cocks-Tigers game in there and call it a day. Or check out the video from Yahoo Sports (Jefferson Pilot feed, it's around the 3 hour mark).

---I realized that Alabama's offense sucked, but I didn't know that they were this terrible. I called for the upset this week of the Crimson Tide over the Auburn Tigers, but again, I was wrong. But the Auburn folks can have fun now. Sure they can. Because come Dec. 5, they will be on the short end of the stick when the Orange Bowl matchup will be USC vs Oklahoma. Too bad, so sad, SEC folks.

---Arkansas fell behind 14-0 in the 1st quarter against Mississippi State, but came back to win 24-21. Thank God that they did. Or else the entire state of Arkansas would be in full meltdown mode right now. The Razorbacks can become bowl-eligible with a win over LSU in Little Rock on Friday afternoon. Houston Nutt is undefeated in War Memorial Stadium in his career as Razorbacks head coach. The streak is in jeopardy, but there's always a little bit of magic in the Rock. That's some folks tell me anyway.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

College football rules.

It just does, despite all of the BCS mess.

Again, I should have done more of these posts.

Oh well.

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page