<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, October 26, 2004

BOHRED 

What did I do with my Monday, with no work and no World Series to watch?

At the same time the other day that I downloaded the Texas Hold Em trial game from the MSN Gaming Zone (and played it for way too long; keeping the game window open will keep your time from expiring), I downloaded a game called Magic Ball, whose title seems innocent enough. I don't know if any of you other there remember Arkanoid, but this game is like 3D-layered Arkanoid, complete with camera controls. Arkanoid was basically a moving bar at the bottom of the screen, a ball that you had to keep from getting past the bar, and any sort of obstacles you had to clear with the ball and paddle to get to the next level. The time limit on it was kind of fuzzy as well, as I played an hour or two at one point, but it said I'd played only five minutes.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is why I need a steady job and a steady stream of sports with which to vent about.

MARINERS
I didn't see anything new in the dailies...

SEAHAWKS
So Mike Holmgren now thinks he's been asking Matt Hasselbeck for too much and asking Shaun Alexander for too little. With the charges that the offense is being too predictable with their playcalling, I can imagine this turning out to be a different sort of predictable offense. Hopefully it works for at least one game.

I'm kind of surprised Koren Robinson hasn't been officially suspended by the NFL yet, but I'm sure it won't be long.

Les Carpenter says the Seahawks plum forgot to grow up, and does a fair amount of ripping in the column.

SONICS
Basically, no one should be paying much attention to these preseason games because too many relevant Sonics (Allen, Murray, Lewis) are out with injuries. You can't make too many conclusions about how well the offense is coming along when three-fifths of it is injured.

So we're left with Danny O'Neil and Percy Allen squeezing 500 words or so mostly dealing with the hopefully escalating Ray Allen/Kobe Bryant donnybrook. I think a good season for the Sonics would be .500, so if Ray and Kobe start trading barbs, at least Sonic fans will have something to get up for at least four times this season.

As for the game, Nick Collison shot 6-for-10 from the floor and led the team with 14 points. Danny Fortson got to the charity stripe for ten shots and sank eight, finishing with ten points overall.

HOCKEY
Manitoba beat Saint John's, 3-1. The Moose scored first for only the second time this season. Alex Auld turned away 25 of 26 shots en route to a road victory for the Moose. Tomas Mojzis, Justin Morrison, and Lee Goren scored for the Moose. In what I think is a rule change (the NHL isn't playing, so hell if I know), Auld was hit for a delay of game penalty when he played the puck behind the goal line but, as the article says, "outside of the protected area." If the NHL were actually playing right now, I'd actually be seeing how they're trying to combat goalies handling the puck too much.

Upcoming
Tuesday: Manitoba at St. John's
Wednesday: Kamloops at Everett
Friday: Seattle at Spokane, Vancouver at Brandon, Everett at Tri-City, Manitoba at Rochester, Puget Sound at River City (Beaverton)
Saturday: Kamloops at Seattle, Portland at Everett, Manitoba at Binghamton, Puget Sound at River City (Beaverton)
Sunday: Manitoba at Hamilton
---

Since I know there's no way in hell the NHL will be starting up anytime soon, I think I might actually be hoping for the basketball season to come, even though the Sonics aren't really going to be that good (SI has them finishing 12th in the west and fifth/last in their division). I guess that there's only one man to get us through this fall and winter, and his name is Kevin Calabro.

It also occurred to me that I've been doing the same thing for the last three Seahawk games -- TV mute, radio up, at the same spot in my room. Early in the season, I thought that the Seahawks were so good that they could transcend anything of negative superstition that I could throw at them. This does not appear to be the case. I don't know what I'm going to do, but I might remove things in my wallet that were added within the last month (minus bills) and then see what happens. I used to rearrange things in my room during Sonics' playoff runs of yore, so I might have to work some more magic here.

Have a good Tuesday, everyone.

[Edit Wed ~4:29a -- I'm not sure if anyone caught it, but the first long paragraph made a lot more sense with "minutes" attached to the end of it, which was the original intent. As for a steady job and a steady stream of sports to vent about, I'm 1-for-2 in that department.]

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page