<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, July 28, 2004

T-TOWN OR PDX? 

I've been to Cheney Stadium and PGE Park. I love both ballparks. But as for cities, it's Portland in a rout.

The P-I's Mike Thompson blogs today about the possibility of the Mariners moving their AAA club to Portland. The Padres would move their AAA club, currently in Portland, to Tacoma for 2005, then move to Reno for the 2006 season.

It makes sense on all fronts. First of all, the Rainiers are in financial trouble. Owner George Foster has tried to sell the club for a few years, but hasn't been successful. Cheney Stadium needs improvements, but of course, they haven't been done.

As for the Padres, it would make perfect sense for them to move their AAA club to Reno, a shorter flight from San Diego. The people of Portland don't really give a rat's ass about the Padres. If the Mariners move their AAA club to Portland, the attendance at PGE Park will go up.

What would happen to baseball in Tacoma, if there isn't a AAA club in town? Say hello to the Northwest League. And if that doesn't happen, then the independent Northern League is always a phone call away. They're looking to expand and Tacoma could be a candidate, if there's no team in Cheney Stadium.

Obviously, I'm not in the Northwest right now. But if I was, I would definitely make a few road trips to Portland to watch the Mariners AAA club. (PGE Park trip from 2001; me, David, and our friend Grant)

There's much more to do after a game in Portland than there is in Tacoma. So, in that case, I'm in favor of the Mariners switching their AAA affiliation from Tacoma to Portland.

David will have his take on this soon enough, I know he will.

BEAVER FEVER, SNATCH IT!!! (I should have gotten the shirt when I had the chance)

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page