<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, May 01, 2004

TIGGERS POOHED ON 

It's a short one tonight because I apparently had more of a life than usual today...

I saw bits and parts of the game, and I was waiting most of the game for the Tigers to at least tie it, which they did. I was watching the TV broadcast (where the graphics people were not posting the score constant in the early innings, which really threw me off) when they brought up something I never knew about Jason Johnson. They pointed out the square thing that is attached to the back of his belt. It's an insulin pump which regulates Johnson's blood sugar. A catheter apparently runs through to his thigh. My only thought: "that's gotta hurt like hell." All that leg motion...I don't know how it can't hurt like hell. Maybe that's why Johnson has kind of a pause in his motion at the height of the leg kick. Anyway, just one thing I didn't know about Jason Johnson, and I don't know if I could play and deal with that at the same time.

As an aside, I learned from KING-5 tonight that apparently Lou Piniella has Type II diabetes. Also mentioned was that he quit smoking cold turkey before the season. Get well, Lou, or as well as you can possibly be with Type II diabetes.

To the game, how good were the starting pitchers tonight? Both were great, though Freddy Garcia was the better pitcher. Freddy was throwing the heavy ball all night, throwing 114 pitches over 8 innings. Nitpickers will hack away at his four walks, and I could be one of them, but it's too late at night for that.

Julio Mateo only pitched a third of an inning, and as I've brought up here before, had tons of experience last year in long relief facing hitters from both sides of the plate and was quite effective. So why not leave him in? I'm never going to feel good with Mike Myers or Ron Villone on the mound, and there's nothing that can be done about this until both are off the team.

Ichiro actually did something, leading off the game with the home run. What did he do in his other four at-bats? I'll let Jeff tell you. The offense once again managed to screw Freddy, though a Raul fly ball that went over the fence bailed the Mariners out. Seriously, did anyone think that was a home run on contact? That looked like less of a home run than the game-winner that Eric Chavez hit inside the LF foul pole off Kazu Sasaki in Oakland, probably in 2002.

Gameball: Freddy Garcia. Who else? Eight innings, 1 run, 4 hits, 4 strikeouts, 4 walks, 114 pitches; a strong start.

Goat: John Olerud. 0-for-5, a strikeout, and he strands two. Just when we thought he might have a chance at turning the corner...

Franklin. Bonderman. Tomorrow.

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page