<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, May 10, 2004

SHARK BYTES 

Monday, Monday...

---David, in no way shape or form do I feel demoralized after the Sharks Game 1 loss. Besides, as a Sharks fan, I know the feeling of being "demoralized". And it certainly wasn't yesterday.

The Sharks should be fine. Hell, they got 52 shots on goal on Miikka Kiprusoff. If they can keep up the traffic in front of Kiprusoff, no doubt in my mind they win this series. But Calgary is a solid team. They will not go away easily.

---I'm in the process of moving to a new house (just across town), and I found my San Jose Sharks Pepsi collectors' bottles from 1994. The occasion?

"1993-1994, the biggest breakthrough season in NHL history"

The season before, 1992-1993, the Sharks had a grand total of 24 points (11-71-2). In 1993-1994, the Sharks had 82 points and earned the 8th seed in the Western Conference. They pulled off the biggest upset in hockey history that season, defeating the Detroit Red Wings in the first round.

I remember the first three seasons of the San Jose Sharks vividly, since I lived in Alameda during that time. I was never able to go to a game (tickets were simply too hard to get), but I did go to the 1992 All-Star Superskills Competition at the Cow Palace. Yes kids, the Sharks haven't always played at San Jose Arena. The Sharks didn't move into the San Jose Arena until the 1993-1994 season.

But anyways, back to the Superskills Competition. Many Sharks players were signing autographs that day, and I was lucky enough to get autographs from Doug Wilson and Jeff Hackett. I still have both autographed pictures in my collection. I've always remembered what Wilson put on his picture:

"Jeremy, All the best. Doug Wilson."

He meant it too. Wilson has always been one of the classiest individuals in all of sports. He's currently the Sharks general manager and served as director of pro player development for five seasons before taking the GM position.

Wilson never won the Stanley Cup during his career with the Chicago Blackhawks and Sharks. There's a few former Blackhawks left in this year's playoffs, including Philadelphia's Jeremy Roenick, Tony Amonte, and Alexei Zhamnov. But the one Blackhawk that deserves the Stanley Cup is Wilson. Of course, he won't be on the ice to earn it. But he's done plenty to deserve it as a member of the front office.

Doug Wilson is the man. Nobody will ever change my mind on this.

---Game Two, tomorrow evening at 6 p.m. Pacific on ESPN. The Shark Tank will be rocking, as it always does.

A split is needed, plain and simple. The Sharks simply can't go to the Saddledome down 2-0.

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page