<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, May 06, 2004

YESNIS 

If I didn't tell you who got hired in place of the contract-nonextended Canuck GM Brian Burke, I just wouldn't be fulfilling my obligation here at Sports and B's.

The new hire is Brian Burke's right-hand man, Dave Nonis.

In my opinion, if the GM had to be someone that wasn't Brian Burke, I really don't mind Nonis at all. He's had a great teacher after all (i.e., the guy who they just let go). He's seen the organization built up over these past few years from his old position (one from which he handled player contracts as well as many other things), and now he's going to run the team he's loved since his childhood. To go from childhood fan of the team to running it at age 38...that's one hell of an ascent.

I've heard Nonis speak on a few occasions as an intermission guest on the Canuck radio broadcasts, and he certainly has the capable knowledge and feel for this job and this team. Time will tell whether all of this carries over to the GM job, but I think the team's in good hands.

For me, this move means that the Canucks probably just wanted a different perspective at the GM post (and probably that Stan McCammon had it in for Brian Burke), but most importantly, I don't think it means the Canucks are going to blow everything up and start over again, both on the ice, and in the front office philosophy.

And with that, Nonis undergoes the trial by fire right away, needing to decide what happens in goal, to make sure Markus Naslund keeps playing for the team (or to find out as soon as possible if he's not), and to petition Gary Bettman to reinstate Todd Bertuzzi.

Good luck, Canucks, and good luck, Dave Nonis.

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page