<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, May 25, 2004

LUNCHTIME 

Small tidbits from today as I take a short break from a project (finally past the data acquisition stage, I think) that's due Wednesday of next week, and that's worth 40% of my grade...

-- You know, if the Mariners are thinking about grabbing a decent currently injured free-agent with some pop, they should fire their general manager (okay, maybe that won't happen) and go after Richie Sexson. The article says he's seeking a second opinion, but the first opinion is for season ending surgery on the ol' non-throwing labrum. I've just made some swinging motions with my arms here in the GIS lab and have concluded that yes, the front shoulder for a right-handed hitter would probably be vital to his success. It's not like Sexson has a ton of roots in Arizona, right? The guy's only been playing down there for not even two months (not counting spring training, where the Diamondbacks take their team north...to Phoenix from Tucson).

-- If my priorities are in line with respect to life in general, I shouldn't watch Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals (CGY/TB) tonight at 5pm. If I convince myself that I need a break, though... Let's just say that I'd have to leave the lab for dinner, right? Riiiight??

-- The Internet Hockey Database has a fun little feature that I will demonstrate right now, called the Player Encoder. Let's say if I want to reference a bunch of guys like Jarome Iginla, Markus Naslund, Hakan Loob, Craig Conroy, Orland Kurtenbach, Pat LaFontaine, Jeff Beukeboom, Craig MacTavish, Dave Babych, and Trevor Linden, this thing will pull up all their player pages in the database. It's great. It's fun. It's a good time. Hey, it worked!

-- Charlie McCarthy's Power Rankings are in...the Mariners have jumped up a spot to 26th!! Celebrate good times, come on!! Arizona and Colorado jumped out of the bottom five, and were replaced by Montreal and Cleveland.

-- Is that Byung-Hyun Kim-to-Seattle rumor still floating around? I hope not, because this realignment doesn't have anything to do with divisions and team-switching.

-- Casey Kotchman struck out last night. For the first time in 48 career plate appearances. Dude's a stud.

-- Get this: I was trying to take a nap last night which eventually went a couple hours too long. But in the infancy stages of the nap, I had the Detroit/Indiana NBA East Final Game 2 on. What better thing to fall asleep to, right? Anyway, I'm lying there almost asleep, and I hear all this woo-hooing next door that I could hear through the cinderblock walls. Someone's actually watching this game? Attentively? Not falling asleep? I know there were some clutch shots involved, but I'm led to believe someone actually appreciated a game that ended up with a 72-67 final score. I can't live with that.

-- Lastly, I know I questioned the move of Norv Turner getting hired as head coach of the Raiders. I'm not sure what to think of them picking up Kerry Collins, though it probably means that Rich Gannon could be out the door.

Enjoy your day, y'all, much in the same way as I am about to enjoy my lunch.

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page