<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, March 22, 2004

WE'RE NOT SATISFIED... 

Thanks to Chris over at A Large Regular for linking me to the latest Peter Gammons column.

Please tell me we aren't looking at John Olerud AND Raul Ibanez hitting in FRONT of Edgar Martinez. That's all I have to say about the M's lineup at this time.

Anyways, this little tidbit caught my eye...

Then there are the Mariners, who after winning 116 games in 2001 have won 93 each of the last two years ... and finished second and third. "Sometimes people act as if we finished last," says Bob Melvin. "We didn't play as well at the end as we should have, but we had a pretty good year."

Hey Bob, the Mariners were 35-34 in the second half of 2003. That's not good enough in my opinion. The A's, on the other hand, were 42-27 in the second half, finishing 3 games ahead of the M's in the AL West.

No, people aren't acting like the Mariners finished last, Bob. People like myself expect this ballclub to contend for a championship. Tell me why I shouldn't think that way? We're two weeks away from the regular season, and quite frankly, I can't see this current cast winning the AL West in 2004. Maybe things will change, i.e. the M's acquiring a hitter. But there is such a thing as a track record. If you're a Mariner fan, then you know the track record very well.

This isn't fun and games, Bob. This isn't Detroit. This isn't Texas. And this sure as hell isn't Milwaukee. I'm frustrated by this team missing the playoffs the last two seasons. I don't want to see this team miss the playoffs for a third straight season. I don't give a crap about profits and pink Mariner hats. I want to see this team win, not choke their ass once again in the second half.

Oh, and as for the Aaron Boone Peoria sighting. He will be a Mariner. Then again, this is nothing new. I did call this when he got hurt over two months ago.

I'm not satisfied about the Mariners right now. But I am very satisfied looking at Aaron Boone's wife, Laura Cover. She would definitely put the "HEY NOW" in the 2004 Mariners...

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page