<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, March 20, 2004

HELLBOUND 

Going way down...

Yes, that was my bracket going down today. Way down.

What's up with the Seattle Center Coliseum/Key Arena being the place of some huge upsets? 1994, Dikembe Mutombo cries like a little biggity bitch after his Nuggets shock the Sonics. 1999, Gonzaga started its Cinderella run in the Key. And in 2004, both #1 Stanford AND #2 Gonzaga go down in the second round. Simply unreal. Can we PLEASE blow this place up for good? I've never liked Key Arena to begin with, so can we get the job done ASAP?

Today was Exhibit A as to why I don't bet big money on the NCAA Tournament. Let's begin...

Duke 90, Seton Hall 62
Screw you, Arizona. Oh, Duke plays the winner of Illinois-Cincinnati Friday in Atlanta. Hooray.

SHOULD A PLAYER BE BANNED FROM BASEBALL BECAUSE HE HAS A BIONIC EYE?

Nevada 91, Gonzaga 72
I had the Zags winning the whole damn thing. Well, it's been chronicled here that nothing good can ever happen to me, so this wasn't a big shocker. But it was.

The officials set the tone from the opening tipoff. Ronny Turiaf was called for two quick fouls in the first three minutes of the game, basically eliminating a huge part of Gonzaga's firepower. And when he came back in around the 12 minute mark, he was called for a very questionable offensive foul. He was on the bench until the second half.

Nevada came out firing though, taking advantage of their new teammates in stripes. The Wolf Pack played a hell of a ballgame, and for that, I have to give them credit. However, it is a secret to nobody that in order to win in March, you cannot have an off night. Well, Blake Stepp picked a horrible time to do just that. He scored 13 points in the loss, but was 3-of-18 from the field. Yikes.

It was a good season for Gonzaga, but this is a tough pill to swallow. This isn't just another year of "well, we had a good run". This program has advanced from that line of thinking. They're a legitimate program in college basketball. But I can guarantee you that they won't get a 2 seed next year. This is just the cynic in me.

Nevada will play the winner of the Boston College-Georgia Tech game Friday in St. Louis.

Wake Forest 84, Manhattan 80
In the year I don't pick Wake Forest to advance to the Sweet 16, they go ahead and advance to the Sweet 16. It figures.

I don't feel bad for picking Manhattan though. Luis Flores had 20 points for the Jaspers. He's a player and I hope to see him play in the NBA next season.

St. Joseph's 70, Texas Tech 65
YES!!! I finally win a game today in my bracket.

The Hawks will face Wake Forest on Thursday in East Rutherford.

Syracuse 72, Maryland 70
I didn't see any of this game. I was watching the Alabama-Stanford game instead. But hey, the Cuse is in the Sweet 16. Not too bad for a team that lost Carmelo Anthony.

Alabama 70, Stanford 67
Dumb hicks 1, Smart kids 0

My national title game of Gonzaga-Stanford is officially dead at this point. This is also when the thunder and lightning start to hit my neck of the woods. Not good.

Alabama will play Syracuse Thursday in Phoenix.

Connecticut 72, DePaul 55
UConn head coach Jim Calhoun had an upset stomach during this game. I did too, Coach.

The Huskies will play the winner of Vanderbilt-NC State Thursday in Phoenix.

Texas 78, North Carolina 75
Tar Heels Fans, help is on the way. Marvin Williams will not allow Carolina to bow out in the second round, mark that down right now.

Oh, and Frick Texas.

The Longhorns play the winner of Xavier-Mississippi State Friday in Atlanta

So there you go, I was 2-6 today. My only wins today were St. Joe's and UConn.

This is a year of parity. The Pac-10 is way down. Conference USA is considered a "power". It's been that kind of year in the college basketball world.

Some more notes on the NCAA Tournament...

---Why do we need the sideline reports to be sponsored? I have nothing against Dasani Water, but this is ridiculous.

---Keep Greg Gumbel locked up in the studio. Thanks in advance.

---I hope St. Joseph's blows out Wake Forest, with that assclown Billy Packer calling the game.

For the record, I don't think a baseball player should be banned because he has a bionic eye. But that's just me. Translation: "Century City" will have the same shelf life as "Skin".

Pacific-Kansas will be on at 1:40 Pacific tomorrow afternoon. Miah, make us proud one more time!

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page