<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, March 07, 2004

RANDOMS 

Well, since I've been busy lately, and it's late at night, and I haven't read the Times article for Sunday yet, I'll post what's on my mind...

First off, since my Win98 computer with a Pentium II chip never got into the mp3 revolution, and I haven't gotten around to doing the mp3 thing and being able to randomize and do the "random mp3's -- list what plays no matter what it is" game, I'll just list the CDs that are in the two little cases that I take along with me in my backpack along with an AC adaptor so I can mooch off the school's power even more instead of having to use batteries...

1) the Black Crowes, The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion
2) the Cult, Sonic Temple
3) Megadeth, Cryptic Writings
4) U2, All That You Can't Leave Behind
5) Korn, Untouchables
6) the Police, Synchronicity
7) Van Halen, For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
8) U2, War
9) Mitch Hedberg, Mitch All Together
10) the Police, Zenyatta Mondatta
11) Korn, self-titled
12) Disturbed, Believe
13) Audioslave, self-titled
14) Second Coming, self-titled
15) Queensryche, Tribe
16) Metallica, Ride the Lightning
17) Iron Maiden, Brave New World
18) Foo Fighters, One By One
19) Black Label Society, Stronger Than Death
20) Rush, Vapor Trails
21) Goodness, self-titled
22) Queensryche, Operation:Livecrime
23) Korn, Life is Peachy

Okay, so I may have been on a Police/U2/Korn kick.

Secondly, Baseball Prospectus 2004 finally showed up in my mailbox on Friday afternoon. I went straight to the player profiles of all questionable Mariner acquisitions this offseason and was highly entertained. I thought the size of a page was going to be like that of a World Almanac or one of those Information Please books, but the size of BP 2004 is about the size of a normal collegiate textbook, except mine is paperback. The price at Amazon is just gangbusters for the amount of info you're getting. As far as I'm concerned, it's worth the price just for the use of "the Ugueto effect" as mentioned on page 8. Hilarious. Good job by Derek, David, and everyone involved in the making of BP 2004.

Thirdly, you know those Nike commercials where they splice their athletes into other sports? Michael Vick and Brian Urlacher play for the Avalanche. Lance Armstrong is a boxer. Andre Agassi steals Bill Mueller's spot and plays third for the Red Sox. Marion Jones is a gymnast doing a vault, before which she probably told everyone she'd win five gold medals and afterward she probably only won three (can you tell I don't like her?). Serena Williams is shown playing volleyball. Bottom line is, these commercials need to get yanked the hell off the air. Not only are they dumb, they creep the hell out of me.

Fourthly, I've only seen five minutes of this ridiculous Dream Job show on ESPN. They did a segment called "Who Am I?" which I could try to describe, but it would be a train wreck. That train wreck, though, would not be worse than the show itself. I don't mind Kit Hoover and all, but do I want her on a panel telling critiquing people on how to be sports anchors? Would I want that from someone who was a Road Rules contestant, a Fox News entertainment reporter, and who has the most prominent cheekbones (seriously, take a look at them) in the business?

Fifthly, I played eleven years of organized baseball as a youngster and I love the game like it was my own son, but it pains me to know I'm more giddy for the next Seahawk season than I am for the next Mariner season. I smell two teams headed in opposite directions... I did some semi-research thing last summer where I tried to put into numbers the tendency that no two Seattle teams ever won on the same day, and how usually the crappy team would spoil the better team's day. Through the last few decades, though, there's usually been one good team, one average team, and one crappy team in Seattle. The Sonics losing tilt lately has cemented their crappiness, where a while ago we thought they may have had an outside shot at the eighth seed. The Mariners as they stand right now are slightly above average (thanks only to their first third of last year). A month of .500 ball, and they get that average slot. The Seahawks went to the playoffs and signed a top-notch defensive end to a steal of a contract compared to Jevon Kearse's deal, and they have an owner who will spend the money and people who have a plan for the team -- a good, thought-out plan.

Sixthly, congratulations to the Husky men's basketball team, who knocked off #1 Stanford and gave the remodeled Hec Ed a previously unknown atmosphere. For the first time in a long while, the Huskies have returned to the sports pages for something other than scandals. People will campaign for Mike Montgomery of Stanford for Pac-10 Coach of the Year, but quite honestly, this Husky men's basketball team was resurrected from the dead under Lorenzo Romar's watch. Something's gotta be said for that. I thought this team would eventually get back off the ground, but I didn't think it'd happen this quick. The only sad part of this is that my former baseball opponent Curtis Allen (he was Westgate, I was Warren Avenue) is graduating and won't be around for the upswing of the program.

Okay, I'm gonna read that Times article now, and hope there's something good.

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page