<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, March 05, 2004

MELVIN HAS A SPINE? 

No cell phones in the clubhouse after 2pm on game days.

Be afraid. Be very afraid. Stay tuned for Jeremy to blast off on this.

The main topic of the article was Randy Winn, who is "unfazed by trade rumors" as the headline indicates. The phrase "trade rumors" is used, and a total of zero names are mentioned in regards to who would come Seattle's way in a trade involving Winn. Also, the main instinct for me was to think "hey, there's new trade rumors" when I saw the headline, but when no names are used, I just take it as the same old crap, i.e., nothing that we haven't known for a while now. As for the possibility of Winn being shipped to make room for a big-bat outfielder (Andriesen's words), I'd hate to see what Bill Bavasi thinks a big-bat outfielder is (generic form: "I'd hate to see what Bill Bavasi thinks a ________ is"). That said, most of the article basically says Winn will have to play a little more to his right than a usual CF would becuase Ichiro is fast and Raul Ibanez is not fast.

The other tidbits in the article: Gil Meche is trying to work low in the strike zone, or as teammates and coaches used to say to pitchers in my later years of baseball, "live down." JJ Putz bailed Rett Johnson out of a bases-loaded, nobody out situation. I had looked at the ESPN boxscore earlier today and seen an "R Johnson" in the pitching lines and had to take a second look. It's not Randy, I reminded myself. I'm conditioned. I was looking for a 10 or 12 under the K column.

But remember, don't even think about talking on your cell phone inside the Mariner clubhouse after 2pm on a game day. If you do, Bob Melvin will come out in a tornado of limbs and teeth. From there, he will belittle and intimidate you until you are driven to tears. Got it?

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page