<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, March 14, 2004

LOCAL BRACKET INSPECTION 

As Jeremy noted, 1999 Bremerton HS grad and class act Miah Davis is playing in the NCAA tournament, as his Big West champion Pacific Tigers have the 12th seed in the Saint Louis bracket and face the 5th-seeded Providence Friars in the first round.

The second Bremerton connection here is with the Washington Huskies. Senior Curtis Allen competed in Bremerton for quite a while. As a matter of fact, I remember an at-bat I had against him in Pee Wee ball at the Warren Avenue playfield where I (an outfielder for Warren Avenue) had worked the count to 3-0, he (stud for Westgate) threw me two straight strikes, and I whiffed at a third strike. I got a little better as a hitter in the years after that, but my at-bat against Curtis Allen wasn't one of my proudest moments. Curtis Allen later bolted from Bremerton and ended up attending Wilson HS in Tacoma. Today, his Huskies have nabbed the 8th seed against Alabama-Birmingham (UAB), a team that has busted brackets in recent years as a semi-Cinderella; not a Tulsa-type Cinderella, but a Cinderella nonetheless.

As for other nearby college representation, Gonzaga got a well-deserved 2nd seed and drew Valparaiso in the first round. It's not Bryce Drew's Cinderella Valpo team, so I'm not too scared about Gonzaga biting it. Eastern Washington made it as a 15th seed, but got an absolutely brutal draw, having to face Oklahoma State in the first round. Ouch ouch ouch ouch OUCH! Good luck with that, Ray Giacoletti.

And though it has nothing to do with brackets, but everything to do with local, I have this to say: I HATE SOUTH KITSAP. Big thanks to Kentwood, because it'd probably be unbearable whenever I go back home because South would have a recent state title in damn near every sport. South's not supposed to be good at basketball. They've got every other sport to themselves in the county, and dammit, the rest of the county needs one to fight over. They can NOT have a monopoly. Thank you, Kentwood, 2003-2004 Washington State 4A champions.

I'm such a hater. At least I am when it comes to that. Much like Ice-T in Chappelle's Player Haters Ball sketch will "hate on a n**** till he's broke," I will hate on South until all their teams go winless. Rationality goes out the window for me when it comes to this.

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page