<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, March 30, 2004

GIACOLETTI TO THE UTES 

CBS Sportsline (and yes, there is something wrong with a woman wearing a Kobe jersey right now)

Eastern Washington head coach Ray Giacoletti has accepted an offer to become the new head coach at Utah. He will replace Rick Majerus, who was forced to resign earlier this season because of health issues. Giacoletti is very deserving of this opportunity and he will keep the Utes among the upper echelon of the Mountain West Conference.

Giacoletti was 69-50 in his four years at Cheney, taking the Eagles to the NCAA Tournament this season. Two things that work well in his favor: One, he's a great recruiter. There's a few guys at EWU right now that should be playing at Washington or Washington State, i.e. Marc Axton. I'm still shocked that Axton isn't playing in the Pac-10 right now. Two, he will schedule a tough non-conference schedule. He's not afraid of his guys going up against the best of the best in the country. It should be interesting to see if he tries to get Gonzaga on the Utes' non-conference schedule.

Why am I talking about Eastern, you ask? Well, I was a student there for a year. I was a student assistant in the athletic department while I was at EWU. I also covered the basketball program for the Easterner, EWU's student newspaper. I was at EWU during Giacoletti's first season (2000-2001). Even then, I knew that Giacoletti was going to be coaching at a big time school in the not-too-distant future.

It's 2004. He's going to coach in the Mountain West Conference. Utah is arguably one of the best basketball schools west of the Mississippi. They have been to the national championship game (1998). They are usually in the NCAA Tournament. Rick Majerus did a great job in Salt Lake City. Now, it's Ray Giacoletti's turn.

As for the future of the Eastern basketball program, look for the Eagles to hire Mike Burns. Burns was an assistant under Giacoletti from 2000-2003, and was on Dick Bennett's staff this past season at Washington State. He's very familiar with the Northwest, as well as EWU.

In other news...

The Yankees lose. THHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHUUUUUHHHHHHHH YANKEES LOSE!

I woke up at 4 a.m. just to watch the game. But I fell asleep. I didn't wake up until the 9th inning, about 7:05 my time here. If it was the Mariners playing in Japan, I wouldn't have fallen back asleep. But I digress.

The Mariners released Eric Owens. Yes, I know Owens isn't that good. But I just wish he could be on the roster instead of Quinton McCracken. Oh, I'm sorry...McCracken is getting paid $1.75 million in 2004. This is worse than Kevin Jarvis' deal IMO. It's that bad.

Hiram Bocachica and Ramon Santiago, I feel your pain. Willie Bloomquist has no business being on the 25-man roster.

John Kruk is going to be great on Baseball Tonight. He tells it like it is, and let's be honest, he's John fricking Kruk. Good call ESPN.

Finally...

That's a nice little beauty mark on Tennille, eh? (Alex Rodriguez)

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page