<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, January 19, 2004

KAZ TO CHILL IN THE JPN 

I'm just linking the same thing here that Derek linked...and that is a Ken Rosenthal report that Kazu Sasaki will not be coming back to the Mariners for next year, and will therefore renounce his remaining $9.5M on his contract.

Normally I'd be really jazzed about this, but I'm honestly afraid to see how Bill Bavasi will spend an extra $9.5M, I really am. I wonder what hack he's going to overpay next. The article mentions the Mariners could make a run at Greg Maddux or Ivan Rodriguez, but let's be serious here -- we all know how the Mariners love dealing with Scott Boras clients (that's not at all, except for Rey Sanchez, who was cheap). And that'd be putting way too much money into one place. Of course, that's management's plan, to win a World Series without a superstar, which by the way will never work.

I know family issues are cited for a reason as to why Sasaki would stay in Japan, but is it just a Seattle fan's luck that this couldn't have happened BEFORE Tejada and Guerrero were already signed? I know it would have only added to the first years of their deals, if the Mariners actually had the cojones to sign them, but it's something.

Maybe Kazu is just outsmarting everyone. Maybe he just knows next season will be a train wreck for the Mariners and not even $9.5M is enough for him to stay in the same country with this new God-awful version of the Seattle Mariners. Frankly, if I were Edgar, I'd come to that revelation too, except it'd be Puerto Rico instead of Japan. I'd also pull one on the team and retire as soon as I "realized" that the team that was going north from spring training was a horrible one.

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page