<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, May 15, 2006

WHERE'S JEREMY? 

I'm right here.

For the first time in months, I've been able to take a break. My first year at Arkansas State was a great one and I'm already chomping at the bit to get back up there. In fact, I'll be back at ASU at the end of the month for the first summer term. School in the summertime, school in the summertime! It's not as bad as it sounds. Really.

I have one year of school left before I head out into the "real world". The real world of sports journalism. Over the last year, I've covered several sports at Arkansas State. I traveled to Lafayette, La. to cover the New Orleans Bowl for my school paper as well as the Sun Belt Conference basketball tournament in Murfreesboro, Tenn. Back in October, I also attended the National College Media Convention in Kansas City where I was able to meet various personalities from the sports journalism field. So while I haven't posted here at Sports And Bremertonians very often in recent months, it's not like I've been doing a whole lot of nothing. I'd rather be busy than be bored. That's how I look at life, anyway.

Don't worry, though, I've been able to keep tabs on everything that I should be keeping tabs on. The Seahawks have had a very productive offseason, even with the loss of the best guard in football, Steve Hutchinson. If the Seahawks were an East Coast team, Julian Peterson would be getting a ton of media attention. Of course, he's not LaVar Arrington. You know, the same LaVar Arrington who has failed to live up to expectations since he left Penn State. What makes anybody think that Arrington is going to be a star with the Giants? It's not like Tom Coughlin is easier to play for than Joe Gibbs.

Re-signing Shaun Alexander was the best move that the Seahawks could have made this offseason. As good as Hutch is, you don't give a guard $49 million. You do give your MVP running back $62 million, however. Granted, Alexander may not stick around the entire length of his deal (8 years), but is there a better guy to depend on to run the ball than #37? Yes, I know about the "Madden Curse" and its pitfalls. Alexander seems like the guy to break the "curse" to me. It should be pointed out that Alexander has never missed a game in his six-year career. We'll see what happens with the MVP this upcoming season.

It took me awhile to get over Super Bowl XL, but it's May 15. Time to think about the 2006 season. Time to think about destroying the Detroit Lions on Sept. 10 in Ford Field. For all the wrestling fans out there (I'm one of them), Wrestlemania 23 will be at Ford Field in 2007. Hey, these are the kinds of things that we bring up here at Sports And B's. We're not stats guys, folks. We'll leave that stuff to the people that give a damn about stats.

Before I move on to the Mariners, Lofa Tatupu built my hot rod. He's that damn good. If you want his jersey, I suggest you buy it now at the pro shop on Seahawks.com. They will run out once the season starts. Trust me. (Yes, I finally have a Lofa jersey. The people of Arkansas are awed by Lofa's presence on my big chest. Or not.)

The Mariners, where do I start? Does it seem like this team is just 3.5 games out of first place? It sure doesn't seem that way to me. I'm definitely in the "Fire Mike Hargrove" camp, but if I know the M's like I do, they'll wait until the end of the season to make a decision. This is the same organization that values players such as Willie Bloomquist over Jeremy Reed, the "centerpiece" of the Freddy Garcia deal. And you wonder why the Mariners are where they are...

The Stanley Cup Playoffs have been fun to watch. Wait, I haven't been able to watch the last two weeks of action since my cable system at home doesn't get OLN. Gary Bettman is to blame here. You mean to tell me that the NHL couldn't have worked on a network such as USA? USA is owned by NBC Universal. NBC is the over-the-air home of the NHL. Yet the NHL is on the same network that features the rodeo and endless "Take Me Fishing" commercials? The New NHL? Sounds more like the Old NHL. The New NHL would be more accessible to people like myself.

If anything, we're guaranteed a great Stanley Cup Finals, regardless of who's playing. Buffalo and Carolina will duke it out in the Eastern Conference Finals while Anaheim is awaiting the winner of the Edmonton-San Jose series out West. Like David, I'm definitely more interested in the Stanley Cup Playoffs than the NBA Playoffs. The NBA Playoffs, what's that? Northwest basketball fans are foreign to the concept. Wasn't it just last year that the Sonics were in the second round of the playoffs?

While I was walking in Memphis a few weeks ago after watching a game at Autozone Park, I noticed that the First Tennessee Bank building had "Go Grizz" lighted up in honor of the Grizzlies' third consecutive playoff appearance. It was then that I knew how low the NBA had sunk in the Northwest. The Memphis Grizzlies were making their third consecutive playoff appearance and both the Sonics and Blazers were missing out once again? It was definitely a sobering thought for sure.

To be honest with everyone that reads Sports And B's, I don't know how much I'll be able to post in the coming months. That's what happens when you have a life. But rest assured, Sports And Bremertonians will still exist in the meantime.

Elgin Baylor is your 2005-2006 NBA Executive of the Year. That's how I'll end this post. What a strange world we live in today, eh?

Oh, and I'm still here. I think.

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page