<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, August 01, 2005

ARRÉT 

Now, time for other stuff that wouldn't fit into Mariner recaps...

>> Year 2000 Bremerton High School grad Tara Kirk is now done with the 2005 FINA World Championships in Montréal. Here's how it went...

Sat 25 Jul
100m breaststroke prelim -- 3rd out of 52 timed swimmers (1:07.34)
100m breaststroke semifinal -- 3rd out of 15 (1:07.20)

Sun 26 Jul
100m breaststroke final -- 3rd out of 8 (1:07.43), bronze medal

Tue 28 Jul
200m breaststroke prelim -- 16th out of 40 timed swimmers (2:31.48)
200m breaststroke semifinal -- 4th out of 16 (2:27.31)

Wed 29 Jul
200m breaststroke final -- T-6th out of 8 (2:28.60)

Thu 30 Jul
50m breaststroke prelim -- 6th out of 48 timed swimmers (31.71)
4x100m medley relay prelim -- 2nd out of 21 teams (4:04.43 team USA, 1:07.90 leg)
50m breaststroke semifinal -- 4th out of 16 (31.26)

Fri 31 Jul
50m breaststroke final -- 4th out of 8 (31.38)


For the record, the final 4x100m team finished second to the Australians, and if the same medal awarding procedures apply that were in place for the Olympics, Tara walks away with the relay silver and the individual bronze.

All in all, Tara scored some medal(s), so that's good fun. Maybe she can get some rest now. But she probably won't.


>> The Vancouver Canucks sort of had that NHL Draft thing on Saturday. Their picks...

1st round (10th pick) -- D Luc Bourdon, Val d'Or Foreuers, Quebec Major Junior Hockey League
2nd round (51st pick) -- LW Mason Raymond, Camrose Kodiaks, Alberta Junior Hockey League
4th round (114th pick) -- G Alexandre Vincent, Chicoutimi Sagueneens, QMJHL
5th round (138th pick) -- D Matt Butcher, Chilliwack Chiefs, British Columbia Hockey League
6th round (185th pick) -- D Kris Fredheim, Notre Dame Hounds, Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League
7th round (205th pick) -- C Mario Bliznak, Dubnica Spartak, Slovakian Junior League

I'd be able to tell you more about any of these guys if any of them played in the WHL. Unfortunately, none of Vancouver draftees played there, so I couldn't really tell you much. Maybe some of these guys will move on to the Manitoba Moose soon, then we can make more of an assessment of how great they might be.


Now time for stuff that's even more random...
>> So, you may be wondering what would be a top sporting event in Hawaii if college sports aren't currently taking place. Something happened here Friday, along the lines of a K-1 fight. One of the fights on the undercard involved the Artist Formerly Known As Akebono, former Grand Yokozuna on the sumo circuit in Japan. He lost his fight on Friday.

>> Not far from where I live, here's a random picture I took of Pearl Harbor.

>> This shouldn't have made me upset, but I bought a big jar of Planters Dry Roasted Peanuts and I grabbed a handful today and started chewing on them when I realized they weren't salted. This made me mildly upset, even after thinking that it just might be better for my health to not eat massively salted peanuts.

>> The best thing I bought the last time I shopped for food -- the two-pound can of chai powder. Hooray for me! You can't deny me, Billy!

>> I posted this in one of our comment boxes. Stitch N' Pitch night at the Safe was attended by Deanna, and all I could think about when I saw the accompanying picture was, "man, that really doesn't look like it says 'Pitch.'" That's either a total error, a mischievous error, or the most screwed-up font in the world.

>> This is probably one of the older jokes out there, but Satan is a free agent.

>> Mike Sando's Seahawk blog is absolutely top-notch. It's crazy-informative, from what I've been reading since Draft day. Great stuff.

>> I tried visiting the Rod Fort data site the other day and realized the link was broken. So I found the new link. Alas, we have the new link for Rod Fort's sports economics data on the sidebar. It's great for perusing and even great for citation in school or college papers. I speak from experience. It's great stuff.


Okay, that's it for me on late Sunday night in Hawaii. I may post some more stuff on Monday, maybe not. We'll see. If not, have a great start to the work week.

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page