<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, October 05, 2004

SCATTER 

Just a few thoughts here and there that I haven't been able to get to...

-- Congratulations to the Seattle Storm. Yes, there's two really good pro teams in Seattle right now, and they're the Seahawks and the Storm. If memory serves me right and if David Locke's much-crackly-when-excited voice rings in my mind, Lauren Jackson had 27 points, and Sue Bird had 10 points and 14 assists after not having a double-digit assist game in the regular season, and after having surgery on her broken nose yesterday morning. She was also getting tossed around pretty good during the game and got an elbow to the stomach. All in all, the Storm go to face the Connecticut Sun for the WNBA championship, and the first to win two games wins it all. This is the Storm's 5th year of existence. I saw the score just after half on the ESPN bottom line and I decided that maybe I'd turn Locke up and ESPN2 down and see what the Storm would do. Then they went on a 20-0 crazy run and everything was going in. It was nuts.

-- It finally dawned on me that there's a hockey team in town I can track to help me with hockey withdrawal. I think I posted when they moved up here, but the Puget Sound Tomahawks play at the local rink as part of the NorPac (Northwest Pacific) Junior B league. The players with birth years listed on the roster range from 15 to 20 years of age. Using the Tomahawk message board in combination with today's Bremerton Sun, I have determined that the Tomahawks are now 7-1 and heading back here to Bremerton for two games against the Tri City Titans on Friday and Saturday nights.

-- More about hockey, it still looks bleak for the NHL. Teams have already cancelled some regular season games. I haven't been keeping too much track of it all due to the Mariners' end of the season and the amount of time my job takes up. My interest piqued yesterday when I was flipping through the channels and a Royal Canadian Air Farce sketch had a guy joking that the Israelis and Palestinians have a better chance of coming to an agreement than the NHL owners and players. Since I hadn't gotten some information about the situation in a while, I went to Vancouver Canucks Op Ed to see what they've been up to. They've been posting quotes, and there are a couple of nifty ones from Brian Burke. But we're not any closer to seeing any NHL play in the future, and we're all worse off for it.

-- Holli Martinez reminds me of Sheryl Crow. Johan Santana reminds me of Joel Pineiro.

-- The Seahawks have to take care of business against the Rams on Sunday, no question. The Seahawks are the better team, no question, and if they play like they've been playing, they'll beat the Rams. If the offense functions more like it did against San Francisco than in the two games before that, it'll really help. But what I'm getting at is this...if the Seahawks win like they should, and if the Patriots win like they should...Seattle at New England with two 4-0 teams would be sweeeeeet. That'd be a hell of a matchup.

-- With the choking defense style of teams like the Detroit Pistons, the NBA has become a league where 71-68 games are commonplace, and these choking defensive teams win championships. The teams that try to put up as many points as possible haven't really been coming through, much to my chagrin, because I feel cheated if at least one team doesn't score 100 points in a game. Am I jaded from the early '90s? Sure. Note that two teams that immediately came to mind for me when I thought of teams putting up a bunch of points -- the Sonics of early last year before Coach McMillan got ticked and tried to make them play defense, and the Dallas Mavericks of the last five or so years.

-- I just flipped in time to see that weatherman Monty Webb is leaving Q13 News. Before seeing this, Bill Wixey was on previewing what would be on the morning show. This led me to ask myself, who is/was a bigger black hole at Fox Sports Net Northwest -- Bill Wixey or Cameron Wong? I think it might be a wash.

-- I was trying to hit baseballs at any field I could find yesterday, but found that most were taken up by youth football or soccer practices. But I found a concrete jungle set up as a kickball field at the middle school I used to attend. It had a main wall and a corner wall, and this made it perfect for practicing fielding ground balls. It didn't take me long to be absolutely exhausted. Advil was taken before I went to bed last night, I can tell you that much.

-- Thanks to NASCAR, I now know that the word sh** is worth a $10k fine and 25 points in the standings. Thanks, NASCAR.

-- I was driving in the Fred Meyer parking lot the other day and saw a car whose driver looked like Mike Holmgren. Though it was enough for me to do a double-take, the car was a little too junky for me to believe Holmgren was driving it.

-- A teammate I had that played for Central Kitsap had a dad that facially reminded me of Lou Piniella. This made looking into the stands quite fun as a player throughout many years of youth baseball, seeing a Piniella-like face in the stands.

-- OH MY GOODNESS, WHAT IS FOX DOING WITH THAT STUPID FLAMING FASTBALL RADAR GUN GRAPHIC?!??!?!!! You know, I liked originally that the graphics for the playoffs look a lot like the football graphics (though the lame MIN and NYY in the score constants looked...lame). But I was watching the game for a while, noticing there was a noise on some of the pitches, and as soon as I noticed that the fastballs were getting the flameball and the sound effect...ugh. Memo to the Fox baseball people...that's glowing puck bad. I'm glad there aren't tracers on the balls or bats, or tracers on runners when they steal bases. One last thing about the Fox score constant...the radar gun reading can get a little fuzzy from far distances.

I guess the Fox graphic was my most pent-up item of the night. With that, this is the end of my completely random thoughts post.

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page