<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, September 10, 2004

NINE INNINGS FROM GROUND ZERO 

HBO will premiere the documentary "Nine Innings From Ground Zero" this Tuesday night at 10 p.m./9 p.m. Central. As you can tell by the title, it has to do with baseball post-9/11 in New York. Of course, all Mariners fans know all too well about baseball post-9/11.

I'm still bitter about 2001. Bitter as hell. Not so much that the Mariners didn't get the job done after winning 116 games. But bitter because of the fact that the Mariners and their fans were treated as the enemy. Along the lines of "if the Mariners beat the Yankees, then the terrorists have won" sort of deal.

From the HBO site linked above:
In the aftermath of September 11, 2001, Americans felt uncertain about how to proceed with their lives. The game of baseball provided welcome relief as the country found itself rooting for the New York Yankees, who had come to symbolize the city of New York.

Believe me, I felt for New York during that time. But I didn't feel for the Yankees one bit. It wasn't like any of their players were killed on September 11. Keep in mind that it wasn't just New York affected by the 9/11 tragedy. I believe there were planes that crashed in Pennsylvania and Washington, D.C. as well.

I'm not sure how the rest of you feel about this. But it still burns me to this day as a Mariner fan. The entire country was pulling for the Yankees just because they were based in New York. Give me a break. I sure as hell wasn't.

Did I feel good for New York when the Yankees advanced to the World Series? Absolutely not. Is that being insensitive? Absolutely not. If anything, it wasn't like the fans there needed another championship.

Basically, I'm not a fan of this HBO documentary at all. Maybe I'll watch it if there's nothing at all on TV. But I doubt it.

This is about as political as I'll get here. Don't expect too much of this. After all, we're not about being political here.

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page