<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, April 13, 2004

SKUHL 

Here's the dilemma.

For my advanced GIS class, we have a project proposal due on Friday. The proposal has to top out at 5-10 pages.

Much like my computer cartography project from last quarter, I wanted to tie this next project in somehow with sports.

So, the Google search (I'm not done with it yet) was for ["Safeco Field" GIS]. It's turned up some things so far, but they're all the same thing.

Then I stumbled onto this. I know there's been some buzz in the blogosphere about MLBtv lately, and I just figured I'd add to the MLBtv melee. The link points to a little GIS-related thing done by Dan Werr at Baseball Primer, who tried mapping out the blackout areas for MLBtv in 2003 using GIS. It's somewhat of a visual treat, though I can't really explain some of the spots in the data and I didn't read all the way through the comments to see if anybody asked about it. There's a few comments marveling over the fact that eastern Montana apparently is in the Mariner blackout zone. Ironically, no portion of Montana is in the Colorado Rockies blackout zone, because I'm pretty sure there's a Billings AM station that carries broadcasts of the Rockies. Also from Werr is this, which has considerably less to do with GIS. He basically asks himself questions but attaches the questions to a fictional kid named Billy.

So that doesn't help me with my project much, and it more likely sucked away time from what I really should be looking for.

Something else I found was this. I thought all along that some truck crashed downtown to cause that power outage, but now I'm supposed to believe it was "accumulated dirt and grime"? That's a lot more embarrassing, if you ask me.

Okay, after checking with some higher-ups here in the department, I'm probably not going to be able to twist Safeco Field or a fictional field into this project (CAD vs. GIS, class is GIS, stadium would probably be CAD). Damn. Looks like I'm defaulting toward some actually relevant stuff on the Skagit River. Damn.

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page