<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, February 24, 2004

FLUFF PIECE ALERT!! 

KING-5's Greg Bailey (he's great, but...) had a fluff piece just ran on the 5pm newscast. It was a Raul Ibanez piece. Apparently the Mariners' video batting replay guy (I forgot what the better, more accurate title was) stuck pictures of Don Mattingly, Ted Williams, and George Brett up around Ibanez' locker, saying his swing is a lot like those three. I had to tie off my neck with surgical tubing to keep from vomiting non-stop for as much as three days after hearing that. That's baseball sacrilege to use Raul's name in the same sentence with those three names, unless words or phrases like "has an average .500 less than" or "coudn't sniff the jocks of" or "is way more overpaid than" were included in the comparisons.

Basically the story had what I just talked about, a little deal about the Mariners "giving up on him" (he played his way out of Seattle, we all know that), and that Kevin Seitzer is the man responsible for Ibanez being anywhere near good. I guess the only consolation is that Paul Molitor and Kevin Seitzer put up some great numbers together.

I was sad to see KING-5 run a fluff piece such as this, though. It makes me think we should have Mariner Blogosphere Television. We could at least run for maybe a half-hour each week, you know, somehow get a hold of a half-hour block on a local WB affiliate and bring our contributions to a wider audience. Hear that? That's the sound of my mind running wild with no financial support (from viewers like you). That parenthetic part really didn't mean anything, I just had to continue my PBS thought.

[Edit ~6:35p -- Finished the first paragraph correctly so that the last sentence conveyed a complete thought. Sorry to anyone who was baffled, because the sentence had ended with the word "than."]

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page