<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, February 21, 2004

BLOW-MEL IS READY TO SHOW HIS BAD SELF 

"The Comfort Zone" isn't just the title to one of Vanessa Williams albums...

Yada, yada, yada.

All offseason, I've heard how Bob Melvin is going to be "his real self" in 2004. How he felt like "the new guy" all of 2003. He didn't want to step on anyone's toes. It would be too much for a manager to do, you know.

Yeah, and with that logic, he basically cost the Mariners a playoff spot in 2003. Remember, the A.L. West was lost by only 3 games.

"When we get on the field (today), the excitement level will be different for me," Melvin said. "Last year, all eyes were on me, and I didn't know anybody.

"It was an odd feeling. I needed to get to know my personnel, learn the nuances of the job. When I came in, it was like it was the organization's team, not mine. It wasn't a turnaround situation. It was just a case that Lou had left.

"Now I know the guys in camp, the guys in the (minor league) system. I guess you could say I'm one of the guys now. I know everybody from the security guy (Warren Williams) at the door to (front office administrators) Jan (Plein) and Debbie (Larsen) upstairs."


Splendid.

Maybe we are right, a monkey could manage this team better than Blow-Mel can.

What an assclown.

He's also getting to know his new "personnel" for 2004, including former Mariner-turned Mariner again, Ron Suckass Villone:

"I've been on the phone a lot," Melvin said. "I've talked with everybody except Villone, and I was coaching in Milwaukee when he was there, so I know him pretty well already."

Melvin was the bench coach on Phil Garner's Brew Crew staff in 1999. He did not coach while Villone was a Brewer (1996-1997). Oh, and Garner is Melvin's idol. Yikes.

The inevitable question for the 2004 season: What will the Mariners offense do in 2004?

"I think our offense will be much stronger this year," Melvin said. "We're going to be much more consistent through the lineup. Aurilia had more than 100 RBIs and 30 homers (in 2001 with San Francisco). Raul drove in 90 runs last year. Spiezio drove in 70-some runs, too.

"Now, it's safe to say we won't be doing what the Yankees will do (offensively), but we do have some power. Our ballpark (Safeco Field) takes away some power from everybody, but we think we have more power than last year."

Seattle was fifth in the AL with a .271 average, but finished next-to-last in the 14-team league with 139 homers. League-leading Boston had 99 more homers and beat out Seattle for the wild-card berth.

"I think it's safe to say that we're going to be better than hitting 130 homers this year," Melvin said. "We have the potential to do a lot more."


It's not safe to say, Blow-Mel.

Folks, for all the optimism some fans seem to be feeling towards the M's, the fact is, this offense is putrid. An injury to either Bret Boone, Edgar Martinez, or Ichiro, and the season is done. What, you think that Raul Ibanez will pick up the slack? Sandfrog? Or hell, Ramon Santiago?

No. There's a reason why people like us are feeling very disappointed about the state of the Mariners going into spring training. Yes, this team will probably win 80-90 games. That's fine and dandy. But expectations change. Most Seattle fans are starved for a championship. See David's post here.

I really don't give a crap if every player on the 25 man roster is a nice guy. I seriously don't. If I had kids, I still wouldn't care.

Ibanez has been dubbed a "world class human being" by Howard Lincoln. Yeah, if only I could call him a "world class baseball player." Doubtful at best.

Oh, speaking of Lincoln, remember this? (October 1, 2003)

"I'm very optimistic, very bullish about this team's chances," Lincoln said. "We've got some plans in the offseason that will clearly strengthen the team."

It is February 21, 2004 now, and pitchers and catchers have their first workout today. Has this team improved. No.

But hey, I guess that's why they play the games, right?

But don't come crying to me in October when Ibanez is labeled "the worst free agent signing of 2004"...

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page