<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, January 28, 2004

HOOT 

John Chaney of Temple is probably one of my favorite basketball coaches ever. He always looks absolutely beat and almost grouchy and grumpy, but the man is nuts. I like that.

In celebration of John Chaney's 700th win as a coach, I convey to you not only the words of Dick Vitale, but also this...

Feb. 13, 1994. After [John] Calipari's 13th-ranked UMass team beat No. 8 Temple 56-55 in Amherst, Temple coach Chaney broke into a postgame press conference being held by Calipari.

"I'll kill your (expletive) ass. You remember that," Chaney screamed at Calipari. "I'll kick your ass. Kick your ass."

Then Chaney, saying that Calipari had intimidated the refs, started toward the UMass coach at the lectern across the room. Gerry Callahan of the Boston Herald described the scene: "With at least one camera rolling and dozens of reporters looking on, Temple coach John Chaney charged Calipari and nearly assaulted him. (Mike) Williams got in the way and Chaney shoved the UMass junior toward Calipari, who was wisely backing up, stunned and amazed. Security guards sprinted into the interview room from all directions while Chaney continued to berate Calipari and thoroughly embarrass himself."

Chaney apologized after the incident, and was suspended for one game.


I have the picture from the video footage in my mind of Chaney going after Calipari and saying "Next time I see you, I'm gonna kick your ass, man! Kick your ass!"

This had to be one of my favorite moments of college basketball when I actually cared about it, and it was at the height of the UMass-Temple rivalry of the early- to mid-90s. Good times.

Read about more coach-related explosions from the article where I got this Chaney anecdote.

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page