<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, November 07, 2003

WELL, WE MAY FINALLY HAVE A "WINNER" 

According to the Seattle Times, it looks like the Mariners will name Bill Bavasi as their new general manager.

I'm not shocked by this at all. Who were we kidding to think that the M's would go out and take a risk, I don't know, say, hire Paul DePodesta? But it could be a lot worse.

Bavasi is currently the Dodgers director of player development, a post he's held since 2002. He was the general manager for the Calfornia/Anaheim Angels from 1994-1999 and had worked in the Halos organization since 1980. The Bavasi family is well-known throughout the game of baseball. Bill's father, Buzzie, ran the Dodgers for 19 years and won 4 World Series titles. His brother Bob owned the Everett Giants/Aquasox from 1983-1998, so Bill has a local tie to Seattle, sort of.

I had said that the M's would hire Lee Pelekoudas. I guess I was wrong there. But I had feared a Baltimore situation, where the M's would hire both Pelekoudas and Benny Looper as co-general managers. It would be Pelelooper. Thank god that isn't to be. Co-general managers simply don't work. Just look at Stone Cold Steve Austin and Eric Bischoff (I'm kidding, but you wrestling fans know what I'm talking about).

I'm sure Bavasi is going to get the title of "yes man." And it could be true. But I'll shut my mouth until spring training. Probably not. But I'll give Bavasi a chance to work his magic this offseason. It's the fair thing to do.

Now I'm going to get some sleep...it's almost 3 a.m. here. The life of being a Seattle Mariners fan in the Central Time Zone. Strange days, indeed.

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page