<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, November 22, 2003

STRETCHING FOR CONTENT 

Okay, just one article, by Finnigan, is up for tonight's Seattle print Mariner update, and it's about the Korean first baseman Lee Seung-Yeop, who I don't even think should be mentioned in the same breath as Richie Sexson in terms of an Olerud replacement. The Angels and Dodgers are more in the running anyway. At age 27, he had surpassed the 300-homer mark in (what I'll take a wild guess and say is South) Korea.

But what I love is this...
Lee...played most of his games in a smallish Samsung park, only 311 feet down the lines, 386 to center.

311 down the lines?? 386 to center?? You know, the current incarnation of Legion Field in Bremerton (only baseball-only field in Kitsap, Jefferson, or Clallam County WITH LIGHTS), on which I played for five years, has these dimensions: 325 to LF (~8ft fence), 385 in CF (~12ft fence), 308 in RF (~14ft fence). If Lee has hit in fields like Legion Field for the last 7-9 years, then no wonder how he has 300 bombs. I hit in Legion Field for six total years (five after the remodel), and my measly 5'7" 150-pound ass put only two balls out of there, both in leftcenter. One was against Bainbridge as a sophomore where I was the only run in a JV game where we got creamed (how Bremerton is that), the other was during practice for the Pro Rentals Senior Babe Ruth team. What I'm trying to say is that EVEN I could put a ball out of the parks that Lee has been hitting his in. Sure, he's a pro ballplayer now and I'm a dead-end geology major at a friggin state school, but you get my drift.
---
One other thing is that Matt from Just Another M's Blog is so right about when MLB centralized all the team websites. Centralized was a great word to use there; I'd been trying to think of a good word for it, and all I could come up with was the phrase "putting all the websites under the same umbrella." Kudos to Matt. The first thing I thought when the websites were taken over was that they all became cookie-cutter personalityless pieces of garbage. The old Mariner website had TONS of goodies on it. Matt mentioned the downloadable radio clips. What I really went for was the Mariners wallpapers and most definitely the screensavers. The 2001 All-Star Game screensaver was a great one. Unfortunately, I think I deleted all the screensavers off my hard drive, but they might still be there. If I have them, it's entirely possible I could email them to people who are starved for Mariners screensavers.

Just one more post coming before I cash it in...it'll follow up Jeremy's post about August 1st...

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page